Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after a couple of surgeries and other health issues, my left hand has lost strength and exercises have not restored it. After a couple of blocks of city driving...massive hand cramping...!

I have an '83 650i Silver Wing that I love but.... How can I lessen the pull tension on the clutch lever and still have a strong connect on the clutch? Any suggestions?

I've thought about a hydraulic conversion kit but I understand that the pull effort would be about the same (so I have read).

Has anyone come up with an electric conversion (electrical servos moving the clutch arm)? (Googled, but didn't see.) Maybe a reostat on the clutch handle and a variable servo down on the lever??

·
Registered
24,185 Posts
first i would try a brand new motion pro clutch cable

the next thing i would consider is a hydraulic clutch go to a honda dealer and try the feel of one

shadows and a lot of other bikes like goldwings have them see if it will do it for you

i have made a hydraulic clutch for a gl500 for a disabled client and he is very happy with it he has bad arthritis

last you can put a foot operated clutch on the bike if you have to

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Don't buy a Motion pro cable.They are only standard cables.What you need is a Wemoto,"Slinky Glide"cable.These are the best ever cables for our bikes bar none.

http://slinky-glide.co.uk/

As yours is a silverwing I think they are the same as the CX500C cables but you can contact Wemoto with your info,

http://www.wemoto.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=cx500c+slinky+glide&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=cx500c+slinky+glide+clutch&_sacat=0

They post to the US.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Having ridden a CX500 with a,"Slinky Glide" Clutch cable it's the lightest smoothest Clutch pull I've ever felt.

My 2 cents.

I concur whole-heartedly!

T

·
0 Posts
les5356.........I feel your pain ,literally

I have the start of arthritis in my fingers,replaced the GL650i bars with cb400t bars,replaced the clutch springs with EBC ,and now find the clutch action hard.

Soooooo I thought about replacing the cable with a bit shorter and newer one...the old cable has a couple tighter bends then stock but not too bad.

According to my research,(which may be flawed) Motion pro shows the same cable(02-0107) for the 650I,500c,500d,500........does not seem right.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/search/by_motorcycle/black_vinyl_cables/1980/Honda/CX500D/all/

T

·
0 Posts
motion pro cables have a polymer sheath lining that reduces pull effort

i just looked at the website it looks like the exact same cable that motion pro supplies me

same polymide lining

Murray ....can you confim part numbers to my above post...

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've sent a message to Wemoto to see if one of their other Slinky Glide cables will fit.As it's the weekend it could be a couple of days.

Shep, I asked them last week as my bike uses the GL650 cable, the slinky glide z/a/b's were about £16, the GL one was £11 being a longer cable I queried this and it was just a normal pattern cable, the slinky glide wasn't available.

In the end I had a genuine Honda from David Silvers which was about 50p dearer.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Shep, I asked them last week as my bike uses the GL650 cable, the slinky glide z/a/b's were about £16, the GL one was £11 being a longer cable I queried this and it was just a normal pattern cable, the slinky glide wasn't available.

In the end I had a genuine Honda from David Silvers which was about 50p dearer.

That's a shame Trev.Wemoto's prices on eBay seem a little better than off their site I think.I wonder if you could use a Standard one with Daytona bars on a GL?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Possible good news.I've had a reply from Wemoto about GL650/121cm cables.I'm sure,"Ralph" won't mine me re posting,

Hi Paul

Thanks for your email, firstly I have to thank you and your members for the positive feedback we've had regarding our Slinky Glide Cables. I'm sorry to say we don't have a Slinky Glide cable available at the present time which has a length of 121cm. The closest I have found is listed to the CX500 and is 100m long,too short.

However I have contaced our Product Manager who is

going to get a batch made up. this may take a couple of months but they will

be available in due course. I'm sorry I couldn't help you further on this occasion.

Many thanks

Ralph wemoto.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Possible good news.I've had a reply from Wemoto about GL650/121cm cables.I'm sure,"Ralph" won't mine me re posting,

Hi Paul

Thanks for your email, firstly I have to thank you and your members for the positive feedback we've had regarding our Slinky Glide Cables. I'm sorry to say we don't have a Slinky Glide cable available at the present time which has a length of 121cm. The closest I have found is listed to the CX500 and is 100m long,too short.

be available in due course. I'm sorry I couldn't help you further on this occasion.

Many thanks

Ralph wemoto.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hi Paul

Many thanks

Ralph wemoto.com

Shep (Paul),

Thank you for the info. I am continuing to look...I really would like to ride this summer.... I'll let you know if I find something that works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts