Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a heated vest but every once in a while I really need some gloves or glove liners. I have seen several pages on how to make homemade ones but here's my real question.

Does anyone know how to wire them inexpensively and not melt stuff or blow up.

I have a heated vest liner but it has an individual temperature controller built in to it so it won't control things connected to it. Just the vest itself.

Is there a way for me to do the wiring that has just an on and off button that only sends enough juice to the gloves or glove liner to get them warm? Like a limiter of some sort?

I saw a $20 homemade controller but there has to be an even simpler way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blindstich,

I just bought a nice little complete PWM controller from these guys for my planned heated vest.

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

Complete and assembled for less than 20 bucks. it will handle 12-24 volts DC and up to 15A. It should do the vest, pants and gloves if need be. Vest at 60watts, (4A) pants 60watts (4A) and gloves cant be more that 20-25 watts (1.5 - 2 amps).

I will let you know how it works when I build my heated vest over X-mas break.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Those look fairly nice for the price, haven't found a US supplier yet though.

When they say they've got Thinsulate in them they can't be bad.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a pair similar to what Trickster linked. I got them from our local surplus store around 20 bucks. They used a 9 volt battery in each glove and worked very well while they lasted. My problem is that I wear the finger seems of my gloves in short order. The heating elements were hanging out and stopped working. I think if I used them more carefully and not for doing wood chopping and other chores they would have been great.

Glovewise nothing I've bought lasts for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen those gloves in the store and they're usually broken. Someone tries to figure out how the battery pack goes in and breaks off the wires. Plus the battery pack would bunch up and cause a huge bulge at my wrist that I don't need.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have decided to find or make some gauntlet leather mitts to use for cold weather riding like Tom on the video posted earlier. I don't see why mitts wouldn't work ok on a bike as long as they aren't like Nanook of the north types. I'll seal all the seams to keep out the little windy buggars.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Stitch,

I think you should take a look at the Oxford Heated Grip wraps. I just went for a ride the other day, it was 38 degrees out, and the wraps made my hands so hot I needed to turn them off from time to time. Plus, when summer rollsaround you just take them off, the velcro around the grips. Webbike world had a review here.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at them with the recommendations of several people on the forum. At $40 it isn't a bad price. But then again I would be adding another set of wires to the bike. If I could link them in to my heated vest it would be the best solution.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have this system on my bike.

It doesn't have a fairing for extra stuff.

But I already have a ton of wires for running the HID headlight and other stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.