Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here looking for coils. A forum member "breej" contacted me (breej) saying his buddy had some.
[email protected]
His buddy was super aggressive and we closed the deal through PayPal, then I never heard from him again. So I guess the lesson here is that if you get an answer to your question, it's not enough, you need to research the person on the board (breej just joined, has 0 activity) and vet them before you trust them.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Be a bit dubious of these offers as outlined above.

We have spammers and scammers trying to sneak in daily and some get through.

You can always PM me someones profile and I can run some checks.

Be aware that even that has holes in it.

I can tell you if the info is bad but there isn't always any info to work with.

I'll write and stick a post here on the subject in due course.

Of course ..... members will need to read it .....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It seems like a red flag if they are new and want to sell something right off the bat. Of course, some people only join to try and sell something but hard to tell.

Reactions: glrider

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Most of these cases so far the new member has a friend who is selling...and gives an email address for the friend. Beware that sort of reply to your part wanted post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take 100% responsibility for being duped, but thanks for the support and kind words. I've been here for a while and there is an implied trust. This is a great community.

·
Registered
Current project 1978 CX500 cafe
111 Posts
The same person did that to me also. Luckily paypal took the money back from him.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
82 Posts
I experienced something like this on a Facebook ad, and paid for a Product (via PayPal) for a product that never arrived, pretty much like bwill166 said above.

Maybe a screenshot of the messages here, or maybe one of the Admins here can give you details of who they were, and PayPal can refund your $$

Worth a try...

Good luck, Adrian

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I suggested in a previous thread that there be a (low) minimum number of posts before PMs are enabled for a new member. I suspect there are a lot of members receiving these PMs that we never hear about.
Sure, the scammers will figure it out soon enough, but when someone makes five gibberish posts in quick succession, they'll be publicly visible.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
maybe new guys should have to apply for access to posting in BST area. That way mods - who all have lots of time to do shit like this - could check the validity of the requester. Just a thought.

( just joking about the time mods have ;-) )

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
? sorta 3 months probationary before being able to post in buy-sell.???..could you stop PMs and replies tho"?

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Mods can't make either of these changes and I suspect admin won't though both have merit.

We are but a small part of a larger cookie cutter approach and fairly small fish at that.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
82 Posts
Just my 2 cents - being able to post as a newbie is part of the appeal of joining any motorbike (or for that matter any other) forum. I've only been here four months - and love it!.

Buying or selling parts might be just one of many reasons why a forum attracts and keeps members. It's all very well going to eBay, but sometimes somebody just might be offering a part (or a garage full) to an interested group.

Rather than taking a "Big Brother" approach (I'm talking in the Orwellian context here, not the TV show), regular posts and reminders are probably a better approach to remind us all about scammers and other means of taking money.

My thanks to the current Admins and Moderators for doing their best, I hope they can keep doing that, and keep the forum open. and available to all.

Cheers, Adrian

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
It is knowing where to draw the line between bonafide member and scammer that is the issue.

It's not like big brother watches members in this case.

Our membership are very rarely a problem.

But scammers and spammers aren't members .... even if they do sneak in.

We just need to be watchful.

I don't know if a mod communicating these things to the membership is any sort of forum etiquette and I don't care. What we do here should be transparent.

I read Orwells books as warnings, not how to. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
IIRC everyone's first post needs to be approved by one of the mods. Some of the scammers should be weeded out at that time.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
I don't know how the system selects who goes through the approval queue. i don't think everybody does and some end up there multiple times due to posting photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I experienced something like this on a Facebook ad, and paid for a Product (via PayPal) for a product that never arrived, pretty much like bwill166 said above.

Maybe a screenshot of the messages here, or maybe one of the Admins here can give you details of who they were, and PayPal can refund your $$

Worth a try...

Good luck, Adrian
I've been fighting with PP and they have been denying my claim, despite there guarantee.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts