Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm interested in installing a headlight modulator on my bike so I emailed www.kissantech.com to ask their advice on what I should purchase for my GL650i. Of the 3 times I have inquired about this product, I have gotten 3 different answers to as what to buy. Can someone please tell me which one I should get?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Any headlight modulator designed for use with an H4 headlamp should work fine electrically. From their site, it looks like either the P115W or the P115W-S will work.

I don't know if either will fit in the available space behind the headlight.

My GL's have the Comagination sS115H4 installed. It fits inside the fairing on the Interstate models or inside the headlight bucket on the naked models.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave ! Outside of the price diff do you see any differences between Kissan and Comagination ?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I'm only familiar with the Comagination unit. It works well and is easy to install.

In the five years I've used them there have been no problems.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
While I think headlight modulators are a great idea, one thing that I thought should be added to this posting is do not use a headlight modulator if you are running a HID headlight bulb.

They are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly. Also, it you have the type withe the slide (one bulb only with a moving reflector) verses the two bulb system HID, the slide is not designed to be constantly used like headlight modulator would do.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave. One thing I read about the Kissan is that they don't completely turn off the lamp. I think they say that the bulb is turned off only to 17% then is ramped up to full. They said that prevents thermal shock to the filament. I wonder what the other makes do? But I think HID is a different animal.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I don't know which ones are designed to maintain a low residual current in an attempt to reduce thermal shock.

Headlight reliability is high enough that it's never been a real consideration to me. And inexpensive replacement H4 elements are readily available almost everywhere.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ordered the Comagination modulator yesterday. The price was a lot better than Kissan's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts