Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm purchasing a new headlight for my 1980 CX500. I'm wondering what the best type of headlight is for a bike...LED, Halogen, Filament? Difference in voltage, wattage? There are a lot of choices out there, I just want to make sure I get a nice, bright headlight that won't die in a year.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,775 Posts
I went with HIDs and I will never willingly go back to halogen headlights.

Since I have 2 bikes, both with sidecars I bought a pair of new automotive headlight lens/reflector units, 2 off road spotlights, a pair of H4 bi-xenon HIDs, a pair of H3 HIDs and a couple of generic headlight relays and did both Re: HID headlights - how I did it. - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum It looks like the pics on that page aren't working properly. If anyone is interested let me know and I will re-post the whole thing with working links & pics.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
One thing to consider is E or DOT. E are not street legal in the US.

The difference between being that DOT optics allow the beam to 'flare' up towards the right side of the road so as to better illuminate road signs and such.
E-code lights generally have better illumination patterns but they also flare up to the left... and since they drive on the wrong side of the wroad, oncoming traffic is blinded.
Oh, and hey... ;) (It's a joke so I'd appreciate it if people don't swim across the pond and kill me, okay? ;) )

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Now, having said that, there's the whole FMVSS104 thing that tells you what headlights you can use, where to mount, and stuff like that... and CMVSS104 for those in Canada (which allows E-code headlights, interestingly enough). Lot's of rules with lighting, reflectors, turn signals and such in there. Have fun. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out the Truck-Lite Phase 7 LED lamp if you want amazing lighting and DOT certification.
its a direct swap for your factory bulb as well.
i found mine for 170 on ebay.

7roundprphoto2_10698449.jpg
its like riding in the daytime, all the time.

Reactions: hedgehog

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, that's some good info. I hadn't thought about the DOT cert's. The Truck-Lite has high-beams as well? There have been several that I have been checking out that seem nice, but lacking high beam capability.
Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
The truck lite does have a high beam. In fact, to be dot certified it HAS to have a high/low. There are few other 7" options, and none of them are below $350. (HD led made by JW Speaker, and Kuyurkan).

Good luck! Fwiw, jeep forums were super helpful in my research because they love upgrading their dual 7" headlights, so if you're looking for more info check there.

·
Super Moderator
14,775 Posts
FWIW, I put the new lights on both machines for less than one of those LED units, including the low beam only ones for the sidecars. And that was 4 years ago so the prices for the HIDs have probably gone down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amen. HIDs are crazy cheap now. Def a good route to go don't get me wrong.
Even the cheapest LEDs are more expensive. Just wanted something different.
Bob where did you hide the ballast?

·
Super Moderator
14,775 Posts
Eccles has an Interstate fairing so the relays and the ballast for the headlight are in there. When I first put the HID in Mr.H ('83 GoldWing) I put the ballast in the glove box but later on I removed the turn signal cancelling unit (annoying: I always had to turn the signals on 2 or 3 times every time I used them) and mounted the ballast in its place. The ballasts for the sidecar lights are in the sidecars.

I must confess that I haven't given any thought to where I would mount the ballast on an unfaired CX/GL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts