Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tricks to reducing headlight vibration? At idle, mine is shaking all over the place. Even at low speed it does have a vibration to it - as seen in reflection of the cars I'm following at night. Maybe this is just normal for our bikes?

My headlight is secured with two standard bolts and lock washers on either side of the housing. They appear to be new bolts (clean and shiny). And they are tight.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You can try dialing in your carb sync. That is probably the greatest contributor to vibration at idle. Then valve adjustment, and carb idle screw mixture. I have noticed the 650's idle much rougher than the 500's, and I think this is just the nature of the beast.

Fooling around with some rubber isolators on the headlight mount may also help. Just something to keep the headlight out of metal to metal contact with the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In these type situations I've found rubber washers to be of little use.

I second the carb balancing if it's that obvious, of curse after you've eliminated anything else that could case it such as plugs, wires or those plug terminals with the resistors in them.

Thats one thing I've got to add to my list of things to go over when I get mine back - replacfe the plug resistors with rods.

Right now he's still servicing the rear drive (it will only hold a few ounces of oil from fully drained to overflow) and he's been bringing me chrome piece by piece to polish which I send back with him. Only part left to mount is the horn and it's becoe somewhat confusing, it's almost as if we're missing a piece.

Simply amazing how that old clear coat comes right off with common paint stripper You just brush it on and forget it, it leaves a residue a soft nylon brush knocks right off. I did learn the hard way NOT to just start polishing with any of it still on a part, you want to start on the bare aluminum.

Wish I had a grinder setup that held at least 4 buffing wheels at one time, right now I've got to switch wheels when I switch to different compounds. Wouldn't hard to build something like that if you did a lot of polishing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts