Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Headlight out

2K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  Newt 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and A new 1981 GL500 owner. I have a big problem I was hoping to get some input about. Everything electrical on the bike works except for headlamp. I do not have power at the pigtail. Fuses are all good, have power into hi lo switch, all other lights work, brake, blinkers, tail, running lights in front blinkers. I do not have Hi beam indicator light.
any help would be appreciated.
Frank

#2 ·
The start switch shuts off the headlamp when it is pushed to start the engine. Check out the start button. You can try spraying some contact cleaner in there and operate the switch a few times. If that doesn't work trace for power from the Hi/Lo switch to the start button then to the headlamp.
Check for a good ground at the headlamp by running a jumper wire from battery negative to the headlamp.

Reactions: bearman1
#3 ·
The hi'lo switch contacts can also wear.

This can be checked by opening the left control and locating the three solder blobs on the beam switch.

Bridge the blue/white to each of the blue and white wires in turn. If the light comes on you'll likely need to shim the moving contact.

info on switches here.

Not a comprehensive write up - more the salvaging of my photobucket pictures.

This wire also passes through a fuse at the handlebars on the way from right control to left. Comes out of the fuse going left as the blue/white wire.

#5 ·
Ok so I have power into hi lo switch by putting meter On blobs of solder. Does this mean starter switch is good? Just trying to narrow problem down. Also with key on, jumping negative battery terminal to green wire in headlamp pigtail did not light up bulb. Also jumping + side of batttery to white and blue terminals on pigtail did not light bulb. Sound like hi lo switch or broken wire between switch and headlight pigtail?? I will check the output side of hi lo switch later today.

#16 ·
My kill switch wasn't working right and I sprayed it with cleaner and that fixed it.

#9 ·
Yes. The spring behind it has become weak and likely the contact faces have a little wear.

If you cut a small piece of aluminium drink can and slide it behind the moving contact and put a bit of an angle on about 2 mm sticking out each side so that the aluminium can't fall out the switch should work again

#17 ·
Ok folks bad news went to put rocker back in after shimming and now I have no power to switch? Not a thing to blue white. Nothing if I bridge the solder joints. HAVE I TOLD ANYONE I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES???? How do you have power one minute and down to putting a little shim in and now Nada?

#24 ·
Ok another morning of frustration in beautiful NH,,
recap all electrics work except headlamps.
here is what I’ve done.
checked fuses and cleaned terminals
Opened and cleaned Both handle bar switches, and all connectors I could find.
checked ground at pigtail by hooking direct to - terminal on battery=no change
Connected + terminal direct to solder on hi-lo switch and have lights. Put shim in rocker and tested same as above and have lights and hi beam indicator on dash panel.
pulled connector apart connecting start switch to harness under steering head and cleaned it.(see picture)
Checked the blue/white pin and blue/white solder in hi-lo switch for continuity and we have it so no broken wire? However if I connect blue/white Pin in connector to + terminal lights do not come on, I thought with continuity established powering the pin would in turn power the hi-lo switch and turn on lights??????
Does this mean start switch is issue or is there some thing I missed?
Auto part Brake Vehicle brake Automotive exterior Bicycle drivetrain part

#28 ·
However if I connect blue/white Pin in connector to + terminal lights do not come on, I thought with continuity established powering the pin would in turn power the hi-lo switch and turn on lights??????
Does this mean start switch is issue or is there some thing I missed?
To which side of the connector did you jump the power? If it is the side which goes towards the start switch that won't light the headlamp. If to the other side of the connector that removes the start switch from the circuit and should power the headlight through the Hi/Lo switch.

#30 ·
That would suggest that the problem is still in the Hi/Lo switch or in the wires from there to the headlamp or in the headlamp ground. Have you checked the continuity of the wires from the Hi/Lo switch to the headlamp? Although IIRC you did get the headlamp to light when you jumped to the Hi/Lo switch contacts which would suggest that the problem is still in the switch itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.