Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news but it was new to me. I needed a new headlight assembly for one of the bikes and didn't want to pay the big bucks for an OE unit, so I took a gamble and ordered one of these.

Clicky Clicky

The only thing I had to do was spread out the wires in the headlight bucket a little bit, since this headlight is maybe a 1/4" deeper than stock. Other than that just plug-n-play, it even uses the same H4 bulb so even replacement parts are available almost every where. The headlight in the link is marked "Off Road Use Only" not sure why, maybe the lens??? But the same guy has DOT approved headlights also. Oh, I offered $12 and change for the part and they accepted it, will they accept less??? Heres all his motorcycle lights

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
"off road use only" indications are fairly common on aftermarket items. It means the manufacturer hasn't jumped through all the D.O.T. hoops to have their item so marked. Many feel that doesn't matter and buy the item and go ahead and use it on the road. Most cases, not a big deal.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Some "off-road only" lights do have a different beam pattern than driving lights. Might be a good idea to check out the aiming and see how it looks driving up on it to make sure it doesn't blind people.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Looks like a good find for the money, I like the bulb options as well.

I'll agree - gang up with a pal and do some drive bys at night with him in a car and you coming at him on your bike.

Not that half the people on the road care about where their light are aimed anyway, but if it does blind someone that leaves the potential they'll drift into your lane, it can also cause the local gestapo to pull you over and you know the story there - some aren't very motorcycle friendly even if you are 100% legal.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I just installed my new H4 HID bulb in my bike and it is a difference of night and day ... with the day after the installation.

It is so nice to be able to see stones on top of blacktop at night ... and cut way back on the power need to run the headlight.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I just installed my new H4 HID bulb in my bike and it is a difference of night and day ... with the day after the installation.

It is so nice to be able to see stones on top of blacktop at night ... and cut way back on the power need to run the headlight.

I wanna see stones. lol. Which bulb company did you go with? And did you use a hot relay wire from the battery? After I hooked one up to mine it stopped going out or not coming on 50% of the time. Now it's on all the time the bike is running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, after some aiming and riding I'm happy. The light gives off a bright white light, about your average good headlight these days. The shape of the beam looks about like the Bat Signal LOL, it's not bad just a little jagged around the edges. Think I'll take the Dremel to the doodad that sits just in front of the bulb (sorry don't know it's name) just smooth it out and maybe get a little more light just in front of the bike. Other than that it's good to go, when hitting bumps and RR tracks the light stays steady, no shaking at all.

I think the off road only bit is like WayneDW said, just hasn't gone through the tests in USA. It's not crazy bright, has a 55/60 Watt bulb and the pattern doesn't interfere with oncoming traffic at all. It's a keeper.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
i wonder how well the Ultra Blue 100/55W would work

On high it would suck 100 watts. On low it would be the same as every other bulb.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The shape of the beam looks about like the Bat Signal

Now that I'd like to see a picture of. Can you somehow capture that on a camera?

·
Registered
745 Posts
sorry to ask , would yo say that this light is better than what you had ?,,,,, you see i need more light at night,,,,, just trying to justify a new light and trying to see the man- size pot holes at night,,thanks any way

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I wanna see stones. lol. Which bulb company did you go with? And did you use a hot relay wire from the battery? After I hooked one up to mine it stopped going out or not coming on 50% of the time. Now it's on all the time the bike is running.

I bought the light over a year agoand I don't remember the brand name, but it is the H4 HID bulb with the metal shield that slides between high and low beam.

I don't think it is any brighter than the low beam HID I had previously, but is much, much brighter on high beam. It was lighting up barricades brightly at over 1/2 mile away.

But ... I must say that you have to go to low beam sooner than normal, due to blinding the opposing driver if you don't. Also, the roadside barrels are so bright they almost blind you.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I know this has been gone over before inthe old forum but I have mixed luck searching for stuff I know was over there.

1) What were the stator outputs of both the CDI & TI versions?

2) How much overhead do we have on each as in how many spare amps or watts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know this has been gone over before inthe old forum but I have mixed luck searching for stuff I know was over there.

1) What were the stator outputs of both the CDI & TI versions?

2) How much overhead do we have on each as in how many spare amps or watts?

175w for CDI and 250w for TI I think? don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought about getting one but worried about the 100Watt draw, I don't wanna overwhelm the old girl. lol But I've been thinking if I replaced the tail/stop lamps with LEDs, that would free up a few Watts to run that bad boy. But having no depth perception, I try to keep night riding to a minimum, so if I add lighting it will likely be more tail/brake lights.

The shape of the beam looks about like the Bat Signal

Now that I'd like to see a picture of. Can you somehow capture that on a camera?
Heck yeah, I'll try that tonight.

sorry to ask , would yo say that this light is better than what you had ?,,,,, you see i need more light at night,,,,, just trying to justify a new light and trying to see the man- size pot holes at night,,thanks any way
I like the original lens pattern better, and the bulb is really nothing special it's the same H4 type bulb as the stocker has. I guess it's a Cool Blue knock off but it just shines like your average halogen bulb. It might appear a little brighter but thats probably because it's a fresh bulb. For me, this was just a way to get a new headlight lens without spending $50+ for a used one.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Lucky, if you install one of those blue blubs I will shoot it out if we ever meet! I hate those things and studies have not proven that the blue helps with visability. All they are good for is to blind people, just my two cents!

Gene

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok gene i will keep that in mind........i dont want to spend over 30 bucks just for you to shoot it out lol

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.