Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what header wrap people here recommend? I'm looking at some Titanium stuff, but wondering if it's worth the money.

Is 1" wrap easier for these CX/GL headers/pipes than the 2"?

thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just curious what header wrap people here recommend? I'm looking at some Titanium stuff, but wondering if it's worth the money.

Is 1" wrap easier for these CX/GL headers/pipes than the 2"?

thanks

kell2784,

I used 2" white wrap on my 1979 CX500 Custom. Here is a quick shot of the wrap and good luck with your exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I've been curious for a while why folks like to do this. Is it a functional thing to do, or mostly aesthetics due to header condition?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been curious for a while why folks like to do this. Is it a functional thing to do, or mostly aesthetics due to header condition?

ramprat06,

Based on my experience with exhaust wrap, here are my $00.02:

1) Is it functional? - Some say there aren't any one a motorcycle but I believe that wrap causes more heat to be trapped in the pipe which causes it to move through and escape the pipe faster. On these types of bike the pipes should not really be by your legs so I guess it would be hard to argue that they will keep you from getting burnt.

2) Is it more for aesthetics? - On these types of bikes, I would say that aesthetics is all it is. On other V-Twin types bikes, wrap can really save your legs when that rear pipe comes out near your mid controls.

3) Does it smell? - The wrap will bake on and smell for a while once you first put it on. Eventually, it will go away.

4) Any Suggestions? - I recommend spraying some sort of high temp paint on your pipe prior to putting the wrap on but you dont really have to. I would think it would also just help keep temperatures down even more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
header wrap traps more heat in the exhaust pipe causing better scavenging of the chamber and a *relatively* cooler chamber. This, in theory, would make your bike run leaner and a gain in power is possible.

The down side of wrap could be the dirt trap, and supposed risk of it unwrapping at speed and causing all manner of mechanical issue. I've never seen this myself but plenty of old skool racers talk of this. My experience shows the wrap smells for only the first few heat cycles.

I prefer ceramic coating as it look brand new and can be done on the inside and outside of the header.

The last header I had done cost me $100 bucks so it is a little pricey.

With that said though ............. header wrap looks bad ass and wins hands down on the street cred function over fashion scale.

Peace.

Owen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.