Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my engine is all fixed up, all painted and ready to go back onto the bike. We are UNBELIEVABLY going to be up into the low 50's Thurs then 60 on Friday so I want to have this thing all ready to go for a ride.

My only question left is regarding the round, metal gaskets at the header. I see the old ones still stuck up in the head assembly. They actually look like they've been there so long that they've fused themselves into the head and I'm afraid to try to mess with them without hearing a few opinions on the matter first.

I've been thinking about just getting at them with a flat screwdriver and a hammer and wedge them out....BUT THEN AGAIN I'm afraid that I might gouge gashes into the head itself while doing this ??

Am I making a mound out of a mole hill ? Will they pop out easier than I think they will ? The really look flattened out and fused into the head, but that may just be how they look.

What would you guys do to remove the old ones OR would you even mess with it ? Or just leave the old ones smashed up in there and re-use them the way they are ??

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
They usually come out easily although they may get mangled in the process, not that it matters. Just pry them out with a small screwdriver or a hooked pick. It looks much worse than it really is - they are soft and easy to deform. The cylinder head is very hard by comparison.

If you don't want to replace them there is a good chance they will still seal properly. You can check for a good seal by using a piece of vacuum hose, one end held near your ear and the other end sniffing around the exhaust joint while the engine is running.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
They're like $1 each from a Honda dealer, replace if one's nearby.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have new ones here ready to go in.....just didn't know about removing the old ones. Sounds easy enough then.

Just didn't want to do any damage...but I'll go for it with a screw driver.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got them out.....thanks guys. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to damage anything with a screwdriver and hammer and I didn't...it was pretty simple.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Sometimes they get so smashed in there that you don't even know they're in there besides the color change. But like you know they do come out.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, they don't look like they were usable again by any means.

Rick, that small window of warm weather they're predicting for later this week may not come, having spent a lot of years in Missouri and Kansas I've learned it can be almost every bit as unpredictable as Oklahoma and it has to roll through here before it gets to you. They still have us down for 64 on Thursday but with a lot of wind, with 50s surrounding it then another big blast of cold.

http://www.4warn.com/

I do wish you the best of luck but don't try and rush anything and unlike us you may have a bit of sand already on the roads. Last thing you need to do is go down again.

As much as I'd like to go out to my friend's shop and slip my unfinished tank and sides back on to go for a short ride I'm just going to take it easy and make sure all the details are done - besides that I'd have to clean the tank out again. Last time I was out there I saw a couple of tiny rust spots on the frame I need to address and still want to go through some of the connectors. Haven't bought one yet but I'm just going to get a decent size tube of silicone grease, can't find the one I had and hate buying it in those little pouches. Have to get the electric fan controller rolling off the line too. I could always just hang a simple switch and watch the temp gauge but I'm still a couple of months away from being back to 90% feeling better anyway so I'm just not going to press anything.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marshall, you must have me confused with someone else as I've never been down....will be very careful as always though.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Must have, can't recall who, but the warning still stands for that sand up there.

We tend to ride a bit more in the center of a lane and 4 wheel vehicles end up kicking the stuff into the middle of them. I don't know what they're currently using up there but here it's a mix of salt and sand. You can see the salt after it dries and the first rain will wash it away but the sand is often next to invisible and takes forever to disappear from the road. I only post the warning from personal experience over the years. It was a couple of months since we had come out of winter but I hit some once on an Enduro and even though it was equipped with soft tires to grip on hard dirt I went down hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts