Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and new to this bike. I've rebuilt one engine before, and done alot of maintenance work before, but never on a motorcycle. I'm working on fixing up a GL650 I got off craigslist and wanted to get some input before I start this portion of the job.

1: Quick Background, I got the bike and it was already running and in pretty good shape. The owner claims he's replaced the waterpump and the seal. The bike had difficulty starting, but once warmed up ran well. I cleaned up the carbs, fixed a loose spring, and it now starts up instantly and is idling at a nice 1000-1100rpm.

2: The Problem, Once the bike was warm, I took it for a quick spin (<1 mile). I noticed that water is leaking out from the head gasket. It was clear that the previous owner had messed with the head gaskets because I could see copper gasket sealant around the edges of the head gasket. The previous owner says he removed them, thought they looked fine, applied the copper gasket sealant, and put it all back together. My assumption is that they actually weren't in good condition and need to be replaced. So I have new head gaskets, o-rings, and valve stem seals on the way and am getting ready to do that job.

3: Questions, With this being my first time, I need to know the tips and tricks from those with more experience. Do the push rods need to be greased when I put them back in? What's the best gasket-sealant to use? What are common mistakes I need to watch out for? I've watched a ton of youtube tutorials and have been reading up on this forum trying to be prepared.

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
What brand are the gaskets you are getting? This is a critical gasket, and many of the "kits" are junky head gaskets. Joe Hovel has probably the best ones around, Jhovel here, and also he's on the aussie site. I'd get his regardless. Other items I defer to the other guys.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got Jhovel's gaskets and the other parts from his website.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Make sure all of the surfaces are perfectly clean. I use a scotch brite pad and carb cleaner or Berrymans Chem tool to clean. Plastic razor blades or scrapers may help too. I have also had good luck with the gasket remover in the spray can. Whatever you choose, get it clean. Since you will have the heads off it is not a bad time to clean the combustion chamber, the top of the piston and the ridge at the top of the cylinder. My only warning to this is to not do more harm than good by letting junk back into the motor. If you cannot do it right, then don't bother with any cleaning. Getting the heads off can be challenging. Make sure that you remove the 6 headbolts, it is impossible to do if you forget the two in the V of the motor. Prying and hammering can get frustrating, but even worse, can damage things. A popular method is to stuff a length of rope into the spark plug hole and fill it up. Then turn the motor over with a wrench and the head will pop off. Some people get testy about the type of rope to use, but I just use whatever is in the shop. When you go to fasten it back up make sure all bolt holes are clean. Having a tap and die set is helpful, but not required. Bolts should be spotlessly clean and then use a thread lubricant like ARP. https://www.amazon.com/ARP-100-9909...rd_wg=65jfk&psc=1&refRID=EXXSXYFFQYZGEKAAAMAB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts