Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the bolt and rubber pad and attempted to slide it back but it won't budge. It is stuck very firmly on the two metal pieces that are bolted onto the frame that connects to the front steering column.

Any suggestions on how I could take the tank off?

Could I unbolt the metal pieces or is that dangerous?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, you have a custom like me, and along with the bolt at the back near the seat, you do have to remove the two side bolts as they hold the tank on. You wont have any problems as the bolts dont anything else but hold the tank and maybe a wire harness clip. They should have large rubber grommets on them for virbarion, and they make the bolts look like they are more important lol like a frame bolt

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Take the three bolts out making sure the seat is off to get access to the rear one and lift up. Don't forget to disconnect the gas hose. And remember cable or wire placement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess that would help. I was following the Clymer manual and only mentioned removing the back bolt. Was getting kinda frustrated there.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
The problem with the manuals is just for the cx you have 4 variations.

Standard, Deluxe, and Custom. And then the 82 custom which looks the same but is a whole different beast.

Also seems like honda made everything on the Customs harder than the other bikes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, next obstacle. I'm trying to remove the choke cable and the two throttle cables. How do I do this?

I also saw a big hose running in between the two carbs with beams that connect the carbs on either side. Do I have to remove this tube? It doesn't say anything about this in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.