Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever finally finished putting an engine together thinking the project is complete? Struggling to find the time between family and work to actually get started with it? How about using all new cam chain and tensioner, new mech and oil seal, new o-rings and all new gaskets, as well as using blue loctite on things you don't want coming loose? How about a new stator to get the most out of your new Ignitech ignition? All this to go on another frame due to yours being bent from God knows what. Finally get it all ready only to find the tach drive doesn't go around when you turn the engine over with a socket. Reason being? The worm gear on the end of the cam is completely knackered! This is both a "D'oh!" and a "Sonova! ! ! " moment! ! ! Sorry, just a rant. Had to tell someone who'd understand.

My Dad used to wait until I was ready to drop in my nice new rebuilt Ford V-8 and leave a piston circlip on the bench then ask me "what's this?" I'd tear apart my nice fresh engine to see where it came from much to his amusement. You'd think I would have learned a little something from about being thorough! Oh, well. At least I hadn't mounted it to the frame ready to go for a ride!

Thanks for your support.

Fred

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Me thinks it's time for an electronic tach.

It looks like he could feed an electronic tach from the Ignitech box and eliminate the mechanical tach altogether. I've seen a few classic cars which have kept the tach face but replaced the guts with an electronic tach, you could probably do that too if you want to keep the OEM tach.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You know those locating dowels that go behind the front and rear cover?

Just found one on the floor. I really hope it's from the front.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fsj I feel your pain. I have had to pull an engiine out of a bike four times before I got it right. Each time it got harder and harder.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts