Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a warehouse with a bunch of bikes in it. One is an 83 CX650 turbo. Can't remember the milage, but believe it is in the 24k range. The bike itself is really clean and only has one dent in the exhause pipe low near the muffler. The front brakes will need work (calipers frozen and lever is broken) and it has been sitting for about 15years. Ran fine before it was parked. Got no pictures because it is way in the back of the building in a dark corner. Have entertained thoughts of draggin it out and fixing it. In my experience most bikes like this are pretty easy to get back up and runnin, but I could be wrong. Any ideas what it is worth? Feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Danny

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
With that kind of mileage, $3000-$8500 depending on all kinds of factors:

OEM Plastics, Paint, tires, rims, aluminum, and the condition of them all.

If it's been sitting for 15 years, a prospective buyer will probably want a new stator, cam chain, mechanical seal, tires.

All of the gauges, sensors, et al should be tested and confirmed as in working condition.

The dollar amount you receive will depend on what you put into it.

I paid $3000 two years ago for a 28k mile bike that needed about $600-$700 worth of mechanical and electrical work.

Body and paint wise, the bike is about a 6-6.5 out of 10. OEM and fairly straight, but graphics are a little beat up, paint is a little beat up.

These days, "7.5-8.5 out of 10" body bikes with recent stator and cam chain installations are going for $5-$6k

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,087 Posts
It's so hard to say without seeing it and knowing why it was mothballed. At that mileage the stator is either recently replaced or in need of replacement.

At that mileage; if all things were fixed and it were in good running order, it would be a $4000-$5000 bike.... or perhaps a little more if the recent $12,000 for the 9k mile bike is a genuine litmus test.

In it's present condition, I wouldn't want to put a value on it without seeing it.

Sounds like your asking about it's value if you fix it up; not it's value to resell in it's present condition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, not worth keeping. The bike is just not worth anything anymore. I'll give you $500 and haul it away, OK?

JUST KIDDING!!!! Every CX650T is valuable and worth fixing up, regardless of wear. Stators, brake kits, seat covers, etc are

all readily available. If the bike is intact and needs brake overhauling, and a muffler dent repair, and probably a stator and battery, general servicing and maybe a set of tires, I would sell it for $4,500. List it for $5,000 and see what offers you get. I do not think the bike will last long. There are many people in this community who would love a 650T..............just too rare to pass up.

I bought mine from a guy in Texas two years ago for $2,500, and spent approx $600 fixing the obvious (two new tires, brake overhaul kits, stator, and seat cover). Did all the work myself and I love the bike. I find business cards on it all the time when I park it and go into a store. The cards always say: "Wanna sell this bike? I'll give you cash. Call me @ XXX XXXX)"

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have three CX500's and three CX650's. I bought one 650 as a "school" bike with 3 miles on it. It did not have a title, but did have all the numbers, vin, etc. Arkansas does not care, they will register a Model T or a kit bike. It was kind of rough looking but cost $2000 and everything was mechanically perfect. I also bought a 650 with 1200 miles that was easily a 9.5 in appearance. I got it for $5000. It looks better than the bike that went for $12000 on Ebay recently. If you get the bike running I think it will pull a pretty good price, a non-runner is another thing and I think that is in the $2500 to $3000 range. If I have to put 20 to 40 hours into it, I am going to bid accordingly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be careful not to try to put gas in it and get it started. You will cause more damage to the engine than bad storage causes. I am interested. Check your email. What is your location?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.