Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, just want to start off by saying this forum rocks ! everyone here has helped me out alot in the past so thanks. i just bought an 83 gl 650 silverwing that has been sitting for years there's no headlight,signalsor gauges attached, i have spark,and fuel going to the clean carbs, yet it does not start why ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you checked timing, and compression? Does it "cough" and try to fire at all?

Regards,

Will R.

hello all, just want to start off by saying this forum rocks ! everyone here has helped me out alot in the past so thanks. i just bought an 83 gl 650 silverwing that has been sitting for years there's no headlight,signalsor gauges attached, i have spark,and fuel going to the clean carbs, yet it does not start why ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would suggest checking your compression if your sure it has a good spark(nice bright blue) and fuel ( Another thought is that your carbs are not adjusted right or cleaned properly, and your fuel air mix is off then even though you have good compression and spark it will not fire ) going to both cylinders. If the compression is good, then I would check your timing is right. Also, have you pulled the plugs and looked at them to see if they are fouled up?

well it poped once but even with priming the cylinder it does not fire....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, i didn't want to start a new topic since it looks like it was started right here. Brand new to forum and with a brand new to me 1980 CX500c. Pulled the bike out of garage where it sat for a while (1-2 years). After replacing all the liquids and putting in a new battery, i tested and the bike turns over and has great spark. The tank was off the bike so i shot some start fluid in the carbs to see if she would bark to life for even a second. I got nothing... Well i got a couple pops out the carb. Thats all... What am i missing. I have compression, air, fuel and spark.... PLEASE advise.... even if the carbs need to be cleaned, which i am sure they do, shouldn't i at least get it to come to life on starter fluid?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well i have a damp plug, so i know i am getting fuel. If my Pontiac was doing this I would say i have the distributor 180 degrees off. I know NOTHING about CDI ignitions. Can these be adjust, has my timing slipped? Or have i just not sprayed enough fuel :)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Well i have a damp plug, so i know i am getting fuel. If my Pontiac was doing this I would say i have the distributor 180 degrees off. I know NOTHING about CDI ignitions. Can these be adjust, has my timing slipped? Or have i just not sprayed enough fuel :)
hi,and welcome.set up your profile in your signiture line.include your location and your bikes year and model......its important.

your timing is probably fine.use a car battery as shep said above,get it spinning well,then spray your easy start into your air box,you can remove the filter for this job.

are you sure you have a good spark?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks!, I have got a photo coming soon as well. I have a jumper pack i can plug on to the new battery to try that. I am guessing the hope is to spin the engine a little faster to get it to catch? I guess i should mention as the bike is partially apart the airbox is out of the bike so i am staring at a open carbs right now.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The carbs on these bikes are,"Constant Velocity" and are designed with the Airbox in mind and a restricted airflow into the carbs.You should still be able to get the engine running but may have to hold it on the throttle when you do.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks!, I have got a photo coming soon as well. I have a jumper pack i can plug on to the new battery to try that. I am guessing the hope is to spin the engine a little faster to get it to catch? I guess i should mention as the bike is partially apart the airbox is out of the bike so i am staring at a open carbs right now.
thanks for quickly putting your profile correct....you say its a project,some photo,s would be nice
,if you cant,email me one and ill do it for you.

ok,no air box,it should still show its a living breed.secret is to get the enging spinning fast,clean plugs,and a good spray

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, you guys are great. Love the fast response. As soon as I am out of the office I will give this a shot. The bike is a 12 volt system right? I will make sure to get some photos up. It was a hidden garage find from a disgruntled girlfriend who was recently dumped. The bike is CLEAN but i have a oil leak from the seal between the transmission and engine. From what i have read that will be a removal project. BUT get it started first (plus I don't want to hijack my own post).

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Wow, you guys are great. Love the fast response. As soon as I am out of the office I will give this a shot. The bike is a 12 volt system right? I will make sure to get some photos up. It was a hidden garage find from a disgruntled girlfriend who was recently dumped. The bike is CLEAN but i have a oil leak from the seal between the transmission and engine. From what i have read that will be a removal project. BUT get it started first (plus I don't want to hijack my own post).
yes,forget about your oil leak for now.let us see what you have.then,youl get advice on the way to go foward.

if you can,get a clean small strimmer fuel tank,hook it up direct to your carbs.it might just bypass a lot of fuel delivery gremlins

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well i was using one of my spare Race Kart tanks right now as a gas tank anyways. The other one has internal rust issues and is a whole other can of worms. When i get home this evening I will take some good photos of the bike and get it posted up. I assume everyone wants to see the motor carb area ect?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Well i was using one of my spare Race Kart tanks right now as a gas tank anyways. The other one has internal rust issues and is a whole other can of worms. When i get home this evening I will take some good photos of the bike and get it posted up. I assume everyone wants to see the motor carb area ect?
perfect
people do not realise the importance of a clean delivery.they talk about tank rust,screens,petcocks and inline filters....bypass the ble$Ding lot,narrow down the issue.

good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok got home and gave it a whirl with a jumper pack and some starter fluid. Just as it sounds like it wants to fire i get a large CLUNK from the started and everything goes dead. I mean the dash goes dark. If you give it about a min it then all comes back. If i continue to crank i get the same outcome repeating now. I am lost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.