Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a throttle lock for my Silverwing. Has anyone used one on theirs? I have carpel tunnel and my hands get numb and fall asleep. Today it was really painful, and I couldn't even tell I was using the brake. I have seen them on Ebay for $35. I'm also considering getting one of the palm levers, but with the carpel tunnel, most of the stress is having my hand higher and in the same position for a long period of time. Any advice from anyone using them would be helpful. I just need to be able to drop my hand every once in a while to get the blood flowing.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
You should almost ask if nobody has used one. Your solution and the best is a vista cruise throttle lock. And the runner up is one of those cramp busters.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Just a warning that they aren't really cruise controls. They are more like cruise assistants.

If you're running across flat ground the speed will probably stay constant but if there are hills then speed will vary.

I use mine a lot when changing hand position and then if I need to move my hand around I will lock it and move my hand around for a short while and then go back to the way I was riding. But if you have one of those cramp busters you can just rest your hand there.

Some people even use both.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I use both. The Vista Cruise is great for when you want to hold speed while taking your right hand off the throttle. The Cramp Buster allows you to ride without the need to grip the throttle. I use the Cramp Buster all the time. I like to be able to control the throttle while covering the brake lever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, now I feel STUPID!!! lol. Hey, new rider here! That is the main reason I haven't really enjoyed riding yet. I went ahead and ordered both the Vista Cruise and the Cramp Buster. Maybe I will start enjoying riding a little more. Thanks for all the help and the suggestions. It really helps to know what people are actually using - and having good results with.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I haven't used either- and I LIVE near JC Whitney, so I really have no excuse to not get the crampbuster other than I get distracted easily so I forget about it when I'm in there.... lol

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Actually it's the season so if you didn't ask someone else would very soon. Just like the plagued what oil should I use question.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Check this item on ebay. I am sure this is the one you want.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well, now I feel STUPID!!! lol. Hey, new rider here! That is the main reason I haven't really enjoyed riding yet. I went ahead and ordered both the Vista Cruise and the Cramp Buster. Maybe I will start enjoying riding a little more. Thanks for all the help and the suggestions. It really helps to know what people are actually using - and having good results with.

Nah, I spend my time thinking about problems and how to make them go away. What's the point in reinventing the wheel? Ask other guys what they've done and pick and choose what you think will work for you.

To answer your question directly, I'm with Blindstitch as far as the Vista Cruiser goes. It works well and doesn't look hokey mounted on your bike. When you set yours up, leave just enough slack in it so that you can adjust your setting with the clamp engaged. As Blindstitch said, it will slow down going up hills and speed up going down hills. On flat terrain it holds its speed very well.

I'm not nearly so positive about the cramp buster. I tried one and while cruise is very nice with it, I'm convinced they're dangerous in parking lots. I invariably would apply pressure I didn't intend and my bike would start to take off on me. Several exciting moments until I removed it. I just use the Vista Cruiser now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nah, I spend my time thinking about problems and how to make them go away. What's the point in reinventing the wheel? Ask other guys what they've done and pick and choose what you think will work for you.

To answer your question directly, I'm with Blindstitch as far as the Vista Cruiser goes. It works well and doesn't look hokey mounted on your bike. When you set yours up, leave just enough slack in it so that you can adjust your setting with the clamp engaged. As Blindstitch said, it will slow down going up hills and speed up going down hills. On flat terrain it holds its speed very well.

I'm not nearly so positive about the cramp buster. I tried one and while cruise is very nice with it, I'm convinced they're dangerous in parking lots. I invariably would apply pressure I didn't intend and my bike would start to take off on me. Several exciting moments until I removed it. I just use the Vista Cruiser now.

Good point Jay. Mine is set so I can micro manage it and get it just right. It's nice when my wife and I ride together. I can set the Vista Cruise and then when she is up to speed, she can set hers as well. Then I don't have to keep watching the speedo to keep a constant speed.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Actually it's the season so if you didn't ask someone else would very soon. Just like the plagued what oil should I use question.

so what oil should i use in my head light then?? lol or what is the proper amount of blinker fluid i havnt found the answers yet in the manual... lol

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you just want a lighter throttle it is possible to relocate the locating peg for the carb return coil spring. Not difficult to do but involves separating the carbs.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

I had exactly the same problem when I fist started using my cramp buster, but found I could simply rotate it up and out of the way when not needed. Since I am so used to it now I just leave it in place.

I did wear through a throttle slide with my vista cruiser by riding with it clamped all the time, so now I only clamp it to hold the throttle in place, and release it the rest of the time I am riding.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
never used one myself... I just ride with my left hand on the throttle for a little while if I'm getting numb. Or I take a break if that's not do able... (safe)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use a "Throttle-Rocker". I used to have some sort of Throttle Lock on my bike when I first bought it, but my Handsome Little Buddy told me that it would get me into trouble. So, I cut it off. (I wanted to get it off some other way, but couldn't). Sad now though, because it would really come in handy on longer rides......OH WELL!

Like others have stated about the "Cramp-Busters", they DO take some getting used to, as they seem to have a habit of getting in the way when trying to brake. But, all in all, I wouldn't be without one or the other, or as is being seen here....BOTH!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.