Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i reversed the sides of the pegs on my cx500 custom. they are now set back about 4 inches which fits really well for my seat and low clip on bars. originally after doing this i just figured id cut the shifter and re weld it the opposite direction. but now im getting cold feet. has anyone done this and had good results? is the shifter made of steel and can be mig welded? the search got me to people just reversing the shifter too and i havent tried this yet, but i think it might interfere with my exhaust. anyone have any insights???

nieds

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The only thing I know is that you can weld a broken shifter.

I had it done by a very friendly guy in Poland, several years ago. My shifter just broke, downtown Krakow. I had to find my way some kms to a garage guy I was told to find. He fixed the shifter on the spot and I continued home without problems. It still looks absolutely OK, but as it was welded together slightly misaligned, I don´t use that shifter any more.

Sture

·
Registered
160 Posts
I moved the pegs back about 5" on my GL. The shifter was made from an RD400 item. I cut it at an angle approximately vertical when mounted and added about 1.5" of 3/16" plate 1/2" wide to move the peg back to where it was in proper position relative to the foot rest. It is tube and I made pieces of bolt to fill the voids where welded. I have an old school stick welder. Did the same on the brake pedal. GJ

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is an odd question? Look at the levers brake and shift, they are welded from the factory! The question is not if they can be welded but can you weld? I've made at least five of them and use them almost daily. If you have doubts of your welding simply practice, the weld should flow, if it looks like bird crap or bubble gum stuck on the work you don't have enough heat into the material to get good penetration. Practice. > Here's a shot of one of my "homemade" shifters, works a treat.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes they can be mig welded very easy, when i got my cx650c someone had extended all the foot controls by about six inches, unfortunately for me "and the car following too close behind me" they couldnt weld worth crap and my foot peg broke off and hit the car. I just finished making new extensions for my foot pegs and rewelding the brake lever, all fairly simple stuff really.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My CX500D was a semi basket case when I bought it. The left foot peg and shifter that came with it had too much distance between the foot peg and shifter in the following photos. Had to slip my heel off of the foot peg to get the shifter to contact the bottom or top of my foot where I like to shift gears. As you can see there is no H-Box in the photo.

The same style foot peg on the right side was the correct distance from the brake pedal:

Removed the shifter, used an acetylene torch, heated to cherry red, straightened the forward bend in the shifter with a 4lb hammer. This corrected the problem I "had" with too much distance between the shifter and foot peg. Cut excess shifter lever off with a hacksaw, leaving plenty of lever to shift with. Stuck a piece of rubber hose on the shifter for testing, but have a new Honda shifter rubber to install. This set-up worked fine during a few test rides.

·
Registered
154 Posts
those are some nice rearsets. how long does it take you to turn out a set of those? and let's say someone wanted to buy a set. how much would they cost?

This is an odd question? Look at the levers brake and shift, they are welded from the factory! The question is not if they can be welded but can you weld? I've made at least five of them and use them almost daily. If you have doubts of your welding simply practice, the weld should flow, if it looks like bird crap or bubble gum stuck on the work you don't have enough heat into the material to get good penetration. Practice. > Here's a shot of one of my "homemade" shifters, works a treat.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dean, I have four sets made up, CNC quality. they bolt up just as the factory pegs do that's the beauty of the system. These are how ever made for two into one exhaust right side exit. One member has already committed to a set. I don't want to break board rules so PM me or email me directly (I'd prefer email) [email protected]

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I'm curious Gary, what board rule do you mean? I see no harm in marketing your custom work. Maybe I missed something.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Gary,

Your fine telling everyone about the sets for sale anywhere on the board. It was promoting ebay sales here that Charles didn't want happening. Go for it! I'd like to know how much a set is too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's what I made after moving foot pegs back. It began as the original stock RD400 shifter from my race bike back in the 70s. Any normal shifter w the proper spline size would work as they have similar length & curve. I mounted it and made a vertical cut next to the toe piece,then added a piece of strap/plate to move the toe back so it is about 5" from the foot peg(I checked my other bikes to get that measurement). After welding the toe piece on I gave the strap the proper twist(a little adjustment for less than perfect cutting of the lever) to make it level w the foot peg. Besides the distance from the peg you also need to get the height relative to the peg right. The GL shifter now feels just like my Aprilia or XJR400.GJ

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
My CX500D was a semi basket case when I bought it. The left foot peg and shifter that came with it had too much distance between the foot peg and shifter in the following photos. Had to slip my heel off of the foot peg to get the shifter to contact the bottom or top of my foot where I like to shift gears. As you can see there is no H-Box in the photo.

Looks like you had a shifter from a Custom and pegs from a Deluxe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.