Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as has been posted previously here, Some HD mufflers will fit nicely on our bikes.

Well I have been looking locally.....nothing less than a ridiculous $200.00, so Have been watching e-bay too.

To my surprise about 3 weeks ago, there they were, 2 next to new shiny HD mufflers for $19.99 plus shipping.

Awesome, I bid on them and got em.

Came in the mail the other day, holy crap thats a big box....hmmm anxiously I open it up...WOW they are HUGE,

about 3 feet long, huge diameter, look like cannons.

Turns out after doing little research on the alphabet language HD uses to describe their bikes, they are from their

trike. I thought they said Sportster in the ad. Placed one next to the Ole CX...holy crap they stick out about 6" from the

end of the back wheel. Guess I won't go over when doing wheelies.

I think the GL1000 is more suited for these behemoths, and will swap out its JC Whitney 16" shorty's to the CX.

Lesson learned, but they are nice for the price, dang near new.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I just got a good pair for $20.

3 more pairs available from the same source.

Let me know if you need them.

pics in my "A barn fine" thread in the garage wall section.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
You could always take them to the Harley dealers and see if they would swap for what you want.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could always take them to the Harley dealers and see if they would swap for what you want.

Thats a good point Larry, I may just do that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'd agree, there's a lot of Harley dealers out there with barrels of the original silencers sitting around. Some still think they're gold, some would take any offer.

Make sure you know which ones you want (others here know which ones are the best as far as being the closest in tune thus not killing the mpg much) then start making phone calls. If you're having no luck try venturing out a bit in a radius you're willing to drive, could be worth it.

It's a good time of the year to start buying cycle and boat items, season's about over.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you.  Mine are from an FXD, not sure which models that covers but they end right near the rear axle.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just got a good pair for $20.

3 more pairs available from the same source.

Let me know if you need them.

pics in my "A barn fine" thread in the garage wall section.
I might be interested in these if they are a guaranteed fit!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I recently got a set of hd pipes for my cx. I haven't did anything with them because I need to make a special angle bracket for them so the are level. And I need to find out which pipes would be the best so as to not mess up the gas mileage and carbs. Anyone know.

And has anyone made brackets and have pics of them.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently got a set of hd pipes for my cx. I haven't did anything with them because I need to make a special angle bracket for them so the are level. And I need to find out which pipes would be the best so as to not mess up the gas mileage and carbs. Anyone know.

And has anyone made brackets and have pics of them.

Sportster and Dyna pipes are said to work well, and as far as brackets, 3/4" flat bar works and need a bit

of a twist in the vise for proper angle. Thats what I did for the GL1000 retrofit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts