Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Got offered a pair of 1989 mufflers from a sportster. Pretty near perfect. Will they fit a standard set of cx down pipes? Would I need the ‘H’ box?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
870 Posts
You can plug them into the h box or buy the h box delete pipes from murry.

Reactions: soggz68

·
Registered
409 Posts
What do folks use for gaskets at the H-box-to-Sportster-connections? My Sportster mufflers have a larger outer diametre than the original equipment CX500 megaphone mufflers. I used bits of Fibreglas pipe wrap as gasket material. (Any port in a storm.)

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Tire Exhaust system

By the way: What you see in the above photo is the original mounting brackets can be flipped and used to mount the Sportster mufflers, if the passenger footpegs are rotated a bit to let the brackets hang where they must.

Metal

The result is pretty nice:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is a hosting-shuffle-related picture issue, ain't it?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
It seems that VS is running into trouble....they switched to a Google Cloud for their server or something like that. They are working on it.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Sportster mufflers fit into the H-box sans gasket.
Use some black RTV smeared onto the joint to prevent corrosion adhesion and it also makes sliding then together easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.