Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am in the process of bringing back to life a CX500 I purchased a few months back, stored in a shed for a decade.

I have the the engine and other stuff sorted out and it was time to fix the exhaust leak on the right hand side. I digged up some old threads and bought a set of Harley cans, specifically 65613-97 & 65605-97.

The flange from the H-box is in bad shape and I haven't tried to use shims and mount the exhaust yet to see if it fixes the leak. I also find that I need a bracket to mount the exhaust.
The old exhaust used a bracket that also held the rear footpeg. Any direction on what you guys used to fix this?

Also, if I go ahead and remove the H-box, what should I be using to bridge the gap? Any fuel economy hit to be expected, can the fuel economy be recovered?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
If you intend to keep the pillion, use the original mounts and fabricate an adapter using thin flat stock or heavy sheet metal.
Murray's Carbs offers mid pipes to replace the h-box. They're shaped to accommodate the gear shift and brake pedal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
To connect to the existing pillion peg mounts, I just used some stock metal, cut to length, and drill some holes. On the RH side I needed a spacer as well, shown in pic.

I sacrificed the passenger pegs as the wife won't get on this one anyway.

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the OEM and H-Pipe provide back pressure that affects the fuel economy of this bike?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Does the OEM and H-Pipe provide back pressure that affects the fuel economy of this bike?
For a data point, at a recent fill up I got 142 miles on 2.55 gallons, so 55+ mpg with h-box and HD cans. It's not a precise measurement since filling the tank can vary each time.

I have no info on mileage without the h-box.

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a data point, at a recent fill up I got 142 miles on 2.55 gallons, so 55+ mpg with h-box and HD cans. It's not a precise measurement since filling the tank can vary each time.

I have no info on mileage without the h-box.
Thanks for those numbers.

The H-box, which i removed to remove the rust and get it painted doesn't look to be a complicated design at all. It seems there are some perforated plates welded on the camshell and the outlet ports are visible from the inlet side.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
... the outlet ports are visible from the inlet side.
That does not sound like it is a stock Honda H-box. The inside of a stock H-box looks like this;

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine doesn't look that bad :D

I will flash some light later today, and verify if there are any pipes like the picture posted by Mike.

Thanks

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems the bent tubes are perforated and I was seeing the light through the holes. I managed to clean the H-box, pressure washed and painted with high temp paint and installed it.

I used coke can as gasket and have installed it without any leaks. Fabricating stainless steel brackets now to hook it up to the footpeg bolts soon.

I am planning to file the metal bracket to line up with the footpeg tab to act as stopper. Let me see if that works.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Show pics of your final fabrication please.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Turned out great and looks fairly simple to do with basic hand tools, thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
good fab job for hiding them. mine are more conspicuous, but my CX isn't a beauty queen anyway.

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't intend to hide them, but was trying to round off the corners, just kept going :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts