Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if we've ever had this discussion before ? I was gonna bring this up in another similar thread but didn't want to "thread rob" anyone

Anyway WHAT is the fascination some have with hardtailing a bike ? You take the shocks off ? Why ? What is the benefit ??

I was just thinking about the Craigs List ads where I've seen guys selling their bobber/hardtail and have seen several mention that "I'm just too old anymore for a hard tail, my back can't take it".

Correct me if I'm wrong but those shocks are there for a PURPOSE right ? YES they are there for rider comfort just like in a car but it would also seem that the even MORE important purpose of shock absorbers is to "absorb the shock" right ?

I know for a fact that good shocks also help a car or truck handle better. When they start to go bad it's very noticeable especially on curves at higher speeds in a car or truck. Plus I've learned that by keeping good shocks on a car or truck that you seem to NOT have as many front end problems since, hey the shocks absorbers are absorbing !

Sooooo you take the shocks off your bike and just let the rest of the bike take all the impact of bad roads, pot holes etc etc. ?? Would this NOT be a bad thing for the frame, extra stress on the welds, the engine mount bolts etc etc taking ALL the shock now ?

So other than some guys doing it because they feel it "looks better"..... I ask of yee WHY remove the shocks ? What is the benefit ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's got to be rougher on the machine all the jarring. It's got to be beneficial to the chiropractors and back and neck surgeons. I guess they look pretty cool but even with a "springy" seat most riders don't do too many miles before they need to get off.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It just for looks isnt it?

and slow cruising about on nice smooth road surfaces

You hit a fast bumpy bend on a hard tail and you'll only ruin yer underpants

if yer lucky.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I rode a hard tail Harley for a while, way back in the day (early '70's), a 1950 pan head hard tail with a springer front fork. It was fun. I didn't tour on it or race in the twisties of course, but for blasting around town on short trips it was a gas. I had to pee every 30 minutes or so, but it was still fun. Kind of like the Stingray was to bicycles. You didn't race or tour on them but they were cool looking and fun to ride.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hardtails were the naked chopper to the nth degree. They were/are bad to the bone.....tailbone that is

The look is still being done by some mfgs, with hidden single rear shock underseat.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey don't forget that I'm a young guy with a shiney ride !! LMAO

But I DO have shocks !

I'm not saying ALL young guys with shiny rides do it..... just do a little people watching- some of these young guys do stupid things cause girls look... some do it cause EVERYONE looks....

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I don't know if we've ever had this discussion before ? I was gonna bring this up in another similar thread but didn't want to "thread rob" anyone

Yeah, it has.

There were a few posts on the old list too. Ape hangers are more of a mystery, I can see the asthetic qualities of a hard tail, although with the well hidden shocks available now, it is a mystery why anyone would opt to loosen their fillings and let their bike literally kick them in the ass every time they ride.

Having ridden a few, you can make the argument that you're much more in touch with road, not an argument I'd make though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ive been riddin my rigid for two years now i rida about 300 miles a week back and forth to work.I m very good at dodging pot holes now however i must say i did this for the old school look also i like the odd or non main stream thats why i choose to ride a twisted twin and not a typical looking bike.But i must agree that all the componets to take a much worse beating as it was not engineerd to be a rigid so monthly frame inspections are a must.but for me it was all about the "look".

P.S. springer seats save backs also a kidney belt will keep the back pain to a minium but i also wear one on softtails also

·
Registered
35 Posts
also the longest ride iv done on it was 350 miles only stoping for fuel just to see if i could do it and im not a youngin im 35

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
also the longest ride iv done on it was 350 miles only stoping for fuel just to see if i could do it and im not a youngin im 35

I dont know if its the angle of your pic in the avatar or what, but your tank looks huge. Custom?

And I do like the look you got going on there, unique. Thank goodness for springer seats.

·
Registered
458 Posts
To "chop" a bike, you remove everything that weighs the bike down. Indicators, large tanks, shockers, fairing etc.

Nowadays, you can buy "go fast" bits, like Premium Gas, Nitrous, Turbo's etc, which were out of reach of the original Choppers and Bobbers crowd.

Same with early cars. Think of a Roadster, no guards, no hood, no roof !

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The evolution of the Motorcycle started with single cylinder powered bicycle type designs. These "bikes" generally had some big ass springs under the saddle... Rear shocks did not exist... nor fronts

the front springer was designed by Adolph Schwinn (Schwinn Bicycles) and licensed to HD for use on their motorcycles.

There is no other reason to Hardtail a modern bike other to have an appropriately uncomfortable place for a badass to look cool... unless they wear a decent helmet which makes the whole idea kinda
uncool anyway

·
Registered
40 Posts

Anyway WHAT is the fascination some have with hardtailing a bike ? You take the shocks off ? Why ? What is the benefit ??

I was just thinking about the Craigs List ads where I've seen guys selling their bobber/hardtail and have seen several mention that "I'm just too old anymore for a hard tail, my back can't take it".

Correct me if I'm wrong but those shocks are there for a PURPOSE right ? YES they are there for rider comfort just like in a car but it would also seem that the even MORE important purpose of shock absorbers is to "absorb the shock" right ?

I know for a fact that good shocks also help a car or truck handle better. When they start to go bad it's very noticeable especially on curves at higher speeds in a car or truck. Plus I've learned that by keeping good shocks on a car or truck that you seem to NOT have as many front end problems since, hey the shocks absorbers are absorbing !

Sooooo you take the shocks off your bike and just let the rest of the bike take all the impact of bad roads, pot holes etc etc. ?? Would this NOT be a bad thing for the frame, extra stress on the welds, the engine mount bolts etc etc taking ALL the shock now ?

So other than some guys doing it because they feel it "looks better"..... I ask of yee WHY remove the shocks ? What is the benefit ?

I would agree with you that the shocks serve a purpose but they just dont provide the "cool" factor. I am fan of rigids because of how they make the rear fender sit so close to the tire. To me, rigids just provide a cleaner look. My CX now has 10" rigid stuts (about a 3/4" gap between the tire and the rear fender) as of yesterday and to me, it looks much better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.