Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my 1980 cx500 dialed in. I recently adjusted my valves and cam chain tension and the bikes really hard to start cold now. I adjusted the valves using .003 for intake and .004 for exhaust, at tdc on each cylinder as instructed. Pre adjustment the valves were definitely louder than post adjustment, but I adjusted them to be looser rather than tighter knowing that tight = burnt valves. But they should be fairly close to spec. The real kicker is the choke doesn't seem to help it start at all now. When I get it running, which I have been doing by bump starting it which seems to work okay, the choke can be pulled to about half and the revs can get up to about 4K. Anything pulling past half choke kills the bike, which didn't happen before. When the bike is warm it runs great, even immediately after it starts and sputters for a few revs(2-3 seconds) it will run and idle perfect. but I'll let it sit overnight and it'll be hard starting again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Hard starting is attributed to several things.
Low compression, dirty carbs, bad gas, weak spark, and weak battery for cranking.
Also if the stator is getting weak you will have run issues and sometimes hard starting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the stator test this morning and it checked out, replaced the Sparks as well as I recently did an oil change and changed the Sparks when I did that. The old sparks seemed good though... It could be the battery as it seems to not be as strong as it was before, and that would explain why bump starting it works ok.. but this issue didn't develop until after I adjusted the cam chain tension and valves. The gas is new ~1 week old and the carbs never had an issue before.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
The events are likely not related.

Try a new battery first or jump this one.

Double check the wiring for possible broken connections during your last maintenance task.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new battery is in the mail, I'm hoping it's as simple as that. The current battery is less than a year old though. I also don't know why a dying battery would affect the choke.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If you did not remove the battery from the bike over the winter, it can go flat.
You should also have a battery tender to attach to it when in storage to keep it charged and extend it's life.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
What......no AutoZone or OReily's near you?

My last battery came from Autozone, it was about $50 USD. Sittin' on the shelf, just waiting for me to buy it and put it to use. No waiting for USPS or UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are awesome. I put in the new battery and everything seems good. Pulling the choke too much still kills it, but it seems perfect other than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts