Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody riding their bikes this Winter? Have any projects that they are working on in the off season? I'm still taking the 650T to work every day, but will get a mundane daily commuter bike so I can save the turbo for once a week trips. Last year I put 8,500 glorious, trouble free miles on that bike. It now reads almost 18K miles. My 500T projects are pretty much on hold, but I will be tackling the master brake cylinders when I get a chance. That will be a learning experience...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I've been riding off and on as weather permits.

500T is running fine, but it sounds like I may have a minor exhaust leak.

650T is still sitting under the cover waiting for me to rebuild its turbocharger and pick up some tappet adjuster screws.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've been riding off and on as weather permits.

500T is running fine, but it sounds like I may have a minor exhaust leak.

650T is still sitting under the cover waiting for me to rebuild its turbocharger and pick up some tappet adjuster screws.

I'm always working on something with CXT's (Too cold here to ride, just work)....Still looking for a NOS rear master cylinder and some bolts..

PK

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well it is taking some time due to funds constraints, but I can guarantee it will look better than it does at the moment.

Those pictures were taken before I bought the bike some time ago, from Rockhampton in Queensland (town is now currently flooded) - and famous for its Red dust - that is clinging to every part of this bike.

since owning it - I know it needs some refurbishment and I have been systematically working my way through it.

Rebuilding front forks (they were very suspect - bad seals - springs upside down on one side - missing a spacer washer - the other spacer jammed into toop of the spring)

Needed new anti-dive rubbers. New screws - possibly need the sliders rechromed - will wait to find out.

Rebuild front calipers - new pads - degreased and now working -linished pistons.

Remove cracked front fairing frame - reweld, repaint, repair mirror mount.

Remove steering bearings - fell apart in my hand - new bearings aquired - repaint triple trees - new ignition switch (NOS Honda with Fancy Keys). need new brake master cylinder - other corroded too far.

A set of engine speed sensors purchased - one is not working so running on one cylinder only - tank needs to be de-rusted and lined..spare sensors purchased. Ripped off on ebay for an Air filter - came complete with 3lbs of Ratshit in the box. everything internal rusted, had to angle grind the top screw off to get the thing open..got some of the purchase money back. thats about it -

It's an ugly duckling now but it may turn out to be a swan...maybe..

Some more pictures loaded up

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well it is taking some time due to funds constraints, but I can guarantee it will look better than it does at the moment.

Those pictures were taken before I bought the bike some time ago, from Rockhampton in Queensland (town is now currently flooded) - and famous for its Red dust - that is clinging to every part of this bike.

since owning it - I know it needs some refurbishment and I have been systematically working my way through it.

Rebuilding front forks (they were very suspect - bad seals - springs upside down on one side - missing a spacer washer - the other spacer jammed into toop of the spring)

Needed new anti-dive rubbers. New screws - possibly need the sliders rechromed - will wait to find out.

Rebuild front calipers - new pads - degreased and now working -linished pistons.

Remove cracked front fairing frame - reweld, repaint, repair mirror mount.

Remove steering bearings - fell apart in my hand - new bearings aquired - repaint triple trees - new ignition switch (NOS Honda with Fancy Keys). need new brake master cylinder - other corroded too far.

A set of engine speed sensors purchased - one is not working so running on one cylinder only - tank needs to be de-rusted and lined..spare sensors purchased. Ripped off on ebay for an Air filter - came complete with 3lbs of Ratshit in the box. everything internal rusted, had to angle grind the top screw off to get the thing open..got some of the purchase money back. thats about it -

It's an ugly duckling now but it may turn out to be a swan...maybe..

Some more pictures loaded up

Sounds like you are busy! If you need info on anything, just ask and I will do my best to assist with educational answers..

Pete

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks Pete,

I'm reasonably clued up (but sometimes amazingly dumb)- but will definitely call for any assistance I need, also a member of the Austrlia CX Register, whose assistance I could not have done without a few times.

Charlie

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks Pete,

I'm reasonably clued up (but sometimes amazingly dumb)- but will definitely call for any assistance I need, also a member of the Austrlia CX Register, whose assistance I could not have done without a few times.

Charlie

I also have many parts both NOS and used. My name on Ebay is the same as this forum CXTURBOBOOST and you can see from my sales that I don't sell junk with 100% positive feedback.

Pete

·
Registered
184 Posts
Happy New Year from Far East

Wish all of you enjoying a wonderful season!

I got a traffic accident at a highway in the middle of December and lost my another partner: 85-VF1000R.

Crossing my finger to all your safe ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello from a new member. I have two CX500 turbos, got my first one about 20 years ago, the second about 2 months ago. I have been meaning to fix the old one for a long time (20 years
), and now with the new one I should be able to combine them and get one on the road. Hopefully I'll get it started this year.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello from a new member. I have two CX500 turbos, got my first one about 20 years ago, the second about 2 months ago. I have been meaning to fix the old one for a long time (20 years
), and now with the new one I should be able to combine them and get one on the road. Hopefully I'll get it started this year.

This is a great forum with a wealth of information to get those CXT's going once again! Just ask and you shall receive!

PK

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I have to rebuild some forks too. I'm focusing on winter projects that don't take up too much space because my garage is only 12 feet wide and there is so much stuff (including bikes) piled up that I can barely turn around. Forks and brakes for the Winter, then the fuel system for Spring. I treated the rusty tanks with POR15 and they are curing in the basement. With any luck, the two 500TCs will be running this year. Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
184 Posts
AAAUUUGGGHH!!!! Not a classic VFR. . . . I assume that you are relatively unhurt.

Happy New Year back to you. . .

Thanks, Timothy_d

I was riding very carefully, though couldn't beat a careless driver.

Still, it was far better compare with what happened occurred to my CX in 2009.

A youngster did hit and run, and caught by me and a witness though police disclose this crime.

All of you, please take care of yourself!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.