Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Here's hoping you all have as good or better year than you did in 2010. Stay safe and healthy!

Larry

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Same from me too, probably the first time I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve - then again it's usually safer keeping off the roads what with some of the people driving back from all the parties..

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I agree with staying off the roads. I haven't gone out in several years. I'm sitting here working on a set of carbs I did last January because the balance screw got stripped out, so I'm changing the throttle shaft for him at no charge. Gotta stand behind what I sell ya know. But the amazing part I just found was that I put the jets in backwards. That explains his poor MPG. It just goes to show I can make mistakes too. At least I get to end the year on a good note.

My celebration shot at midnight will be NyQuil this year!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, well, the guy was a bit off timing but right around 12:30 AM someone in the neighborhood started shooting off fireworks (they're legal to buy for a few days around New Year's here) so despite it being 21* outside I had to retaliate. I keep a large stash of them around, mainly because I always tend to buy more than I ever get to fire on the 4th and they're theoretically illegal to even possess inside the city limits but that never stopped me.

Took me a bit of digging in the garage but I found my three large boxes of stash, chose and set off a 100 round Saturn Missile battery with reports - you know those ones that make the extremely loud shreaking sound as they fire off then bang at the last. Now I'm trying to warm back up again as I was barefoot both in the garage and outside. Had I put all my clothes, a coat and shoes back on I probably would have pulled some other things out but he quit so I guess I got in the last word so to speak - that or someone reported him to the police and they shut him down.

I see it's now New Year's in the Mountain time zone - have fun to all those we know in that area!

·
Registered
835 Posts
UP and already at work 7am local time - gawd! What am I doing here!

Happy New Year everybody. I can't believe my brand new bike is already

2 years old

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Jish goten bick...phrum di purty** hif uh Hippee nu yir awl
beeerp

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
... But the amazing part I just found was that I put the jets in backwards. That explains his poor MPG. It just goes to show I can make mistakes too. At least I get to end the year on a good note.

My celebration shot at midnight will be NyQuil this year!
Larry,

I know this guy in California that sells a book on carbs so you don't get the jets goofed up again ...

To everyone,

Have a healthy and happy new year!!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yep, I agree with staying off the roads. I haven't gone out in several years. I'm sitting here working on a set of carbs I did last January because the balance screw got stripped out, so I'm changing the throttle shaft for him at no charge. Gotta stand behind what I sell ya know. But the amazing part I just found was that I put the jets in backwards. That explains his poor MPG. It just goes to show I can make mistakes too.

Come to think of it I didn't go out for very long last year either and for years before that because as a practice I'd either be at a girl's house for the night or just check into a hotel within walking distance of the huge festivities they have downtown here. Worst thing is I only had half a tiny bottle of champagne last night and I've got one hell of a hangover this morning, guess I'm getting too old to be drinking anything other than the occasional beer. Would have done that last night if my new girlfriend wasn't up in the Vancouver area for 10 days of fun with old friends both there and in Washington State.

Larry, if we didn't occasionally make mistakes we'd never learn squat. To make them is common for everyone, being able to admit to them displays a quality very few people ever expect to hear and when you do it only earns you even more respect.

I was introduced to AA decades ago by a member of the judicial system but I really was a heavy drinker back then.

One of the steps I'll never forget as I still live by it to this day:

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Not only does it free your mind but it also shocks people to run into someone with such honesty.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the comments Marshall. I learned years ago that as I started admitting to myself when I was wrong or made a mistake no matter how big or small it was, that things seemed to go easier in life. As I got comfortable admitting it to my self it came easier to admit it to others. I could have kept quiet and just fixed the jets, but that would have left him thinking that the balance screw was the problem with the poor mileage. And that would have been wrong.

It's just too bad everyone doesn't practice it even if it was just silently inside them selves. Excepting ones own faults does more for the sole than you could imagine.

I'm just sorry he lived with such poor mpg for a year. He is a member here, I just can't remember his online name because I did all the correspondence in emails. First name is Joe, and I apologize to him for my mistake.

Dave, I knew I could count on you to point me in the right direction!

Well, off to clean up my sons bike. Looks like we have a buyer for it. He's starting the year off on a good note. And so is the buyer.

Happy new year all!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm just sorry he lived with such poor mpg for a year. He is a member here, I just can't remember his online name because I did all the correspondence in emails. First name is Joe, and I apologize to him for my mistake.

Don’t worry about it! The bike those carbs go on didn't get ridden much as it is still somewhat of a project, and I have other bikes to ride. I am deeply impressed by your response on this issue Larry, you are absolutley first class.

As a matter of fact, I am thinking that I might pull the carbs off of my other GL later this winter and send them to you as well, we all know you do great work AND you back up what you do.

Have a great new year!

Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Joe. Again, sorry. The carbs are done. After the rain stops and I get my sons bike ready for delivery I'll get yours on and tested. Thanks for reminding me who you are online. I always forget after the 1 to 1 emails start.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Thank you for the comments Marshall. I learned years ago that as I started admitting to myself when I was wrong or made a mistake no matter how big or small it was, that things seemed to go easier in life. As I got comfortable admitting it to my self it came easier to admit it to others.

I wish I could impress that quality into the almost a hundred people I work with, things have improved but excuses are still the norm. That might lead me to a New Year's resolution, try and print up some posters about this and put them around work. Excuses are bad enough but when you know right off the bat they're just making one up it's so obvious that they lose credibility and if they lead their lives outside of the work area in the same way they're only hurting themselves. Even top management, with who I work very closely with, are guilty of this.

I used to be able to publish a monthly newsletter at work but nobody seems to have the time to give me all the numbers and contributions I need to make up a good one anymore so it hasn't been done in quite some time. I may just publish one with a lot of blank pages + a few columns of my own this year and e-mail it to everyone to hopefully kickstart the project back. I can write these things up at home in my spare time so it isn't that big of a deal. I've had several mentions from some of our sales team members visiting from the other US regions about how much they liked it and how they miss seeing it I feel honored but sad that I haven't had any useful stuff to put in one for ages.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.