Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the screws siezed and broke off in my master cylinder, I ordered a new one. Since the new master cylinder appears to require a flat handlebar IOT keep the reservoir level, I ordered a new one. The MC should be here around Tuesday. The handlebar should be here on Monday. This weekend I plan to get some before pics and start disassembly. I'll keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
979 Posts
What mc and bars you going with? Where you from in nea? Im in lamar on i40 between russellville and ft smith

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Obviously get the bars that make you the most comfy.....

But don't get bars just because those particular bars will keep the M/C level, get the bars because they are the ones that make YOU COMFY....the M/C does not have to be perfectly level as long as no matter what angle you have it at you have enough fluid in there to keep the holes on the bottom of the M/C covered with the fluid.

EDIT: see pic in my signature line....ie "unlevel" M/C !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the Jonesboro area. I got the MC from ebay for about $90 including shipping. I went with Bikemaster GP Touring handlebars. I'll see how they work out. I wanted to get away from the buckhorns, so I was happy to need a flatter handlebar anyway. Here are the before pics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it took all week to find the time to put it together. And it took a few more days to find the time to post results. Here it is about halfway through.

And here, the project is complete.

I am very pleased with the new look and riding position.

Please understand, "the project is complete" refers to the mini project of handlebar/mc. I expect the bike to be a project for as long as I own it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Daytona bars from JCW allow full movement. The only "problems" are cables are a bit long, master cylinder is not level, and they are smooth throughout (no scoring to hold attachments.) Also the mirrors sit a bit inside so it's hard to see behind you. I just purchased some mirrors that stick out a bit more so I can see better.

All in all I notice no significant difference from the stock touring bars except the comfort. But I am a sport touring guy so that's just my opinion.

For the price I am more than happy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can go stop to stop with about 3/8" clearance on the controls. I had to push them forward a little more than I thought i would want to, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts