Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1982 CX500C (Custom) that needs new handlebars. The salvage dealer I bought it from dropped it on its right side and bent the handlebars, etc.

I think I'd like something about the same height as the original (which is about 8 in. rise) or a little lower (4-6 in) but with less "pull back".
The original "buckhorn" bars have the ends turned fairly far back. By my measure, they have perhaps a 12 in. "pull back" (measuring from the front of the last bend to the end of the grip).
The original bars also have a lot of "down slope" in the grips, descending at about a 30 degree angle.

I think I'd like something with less pull-back, maybe around 6 in. I like the "down slope" OK, but don't require it.

Now, lots of on-line sites have selections of aftermarket handlebars, i.e.
Motorcycle Handlebars
and they even specify rise, pull-back, etc. measurements, but I don't see any details about the slope of the grips. Are they all level, or what?

Looking at the various Bikemaster bars... I see the "Daytona" is popular.
Anyone have the "G.P. Touring" and/or "LTD" bars? Have pictures that show the shapes of these? Views from straight above and from level behind would be a big help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also, comparing pictures of OEM bars from the 1982 vs 1979 CX500C, it looks like the 1979 has less pull back, and maybe wider as well. Anyone know if that's true, and the measurements? Maybe I'd like a set of 1979 bars...

The OEM bars on the GL650 look like they might be about what I want too...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Were there more than one type of OEM handlebars for the CX500 Custom? Looking at pictures of "OEM" bars, some appear to have a LOT of "pull back", with the ends of the handlebars pointing almost straight back. Others appear to have the ends at around 45 degrees. I'm confused...

Just ran across the term "wheelbarrow handles", which I think is good description of the handles I don't like. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Have a look at the deluxe bars. They might be closer to what you like?

Reactions: gordon4959

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I ordered a handlebar from a CX500 Deluxe that someone had up on ebay.
Not big $ so we'll see how feels for comfort and go from there.
Will report back once it's on there. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I thought the Daytona style handlebars were basically that. A little less pull back from stock, and I think a little lower. I don't know though, I haven't got rid of my buckhorns yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts