Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 GL650I, the handlebar grips I have on right now are old and leave residue on my hands/gloves, I will be replacing them soon, just lookiing for recommendations as to what kind to buy and where, thank you

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I know you are probably just looking for basic grips but I highly recommend the Oxford heat grips. A game changer for spring and fall riding. The grips are comfortable too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I should add that I'm cheap, but the Oxfords are worth it to me. Even when I'm not pushing the weather limits, they're nice to have.

I believe fortnine.ca has them

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
there is also the Daytona brand with 2 to 4 heat levels to consider....
Maybe compare the pricing....both been around for many years.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Also, I can’t say enough good about Oxford’s. They are very warm. I never even use the warmest setting. They come with everything needed to safely connect them directly to the battery. Warm hands are so comfortable. I’ll turn them on even when my hands aren’t cold just because I have it and warm is good.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
not going to debate brands....lol...post #5 might be worth checking out first....then ebay?...Revzilla stands behind its products but there might be more fees/postage with that one.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
not going to debate brands....lol...post #5 might be worth checking out first....then ebay?...Revzilla stands behind its products but there might be more fees/postage with that one.
Also not looking to debate. I only have experience with Oxfords and wanted to emphasize how much I like them. I won’t comment on any other brand.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not implying you were (debating)...cheers

post #5 might be an indicator of good local pricing...

from there both brands might be worth considering....both work well ..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Fortnine has I believe Oxford heated grips . Got my Oxfords from Ebay many years ago,still working good on my Eurosport. Last fall my Silverwing needed new heated grips and my local bike shop sold me a set made by Koso which work excellent as well and a bit lower in price. Like the controler better on the Koso's ,has five heat settings with only one button and easy to install handle bar bracket.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
I prefer cartridge heaters inside the bars so I can use whatever grips I like. Unfortunately, the company that made Polly Heaters seems to have disappeared but there are other brands.
When I got my first set they were only available in the single heat version, supplied with a toggle switch and a resistor so that you could switch the resistor in series to reduce the heat at the bars. I didn't like the idea of wasting precious watts heating up that resistor that could be better used for sidecar lighting or the stereo so I set them up with a centre off DPDT switch so that they are in parallel (high heat) when the switch is up, in series when the switch is down (low heat) and off in the middle. I don't remember ever wishing I had more settings than that (except the odd time when it was below -30c and I wished I could turn them higher).

For the actual grips, I prefer gel type on the CX because it damps the vibration a bit. I browsed the aftermarket catalogues online and asked my local bike dealer's parts guy to order the ones I liked. During lockdown I'd probably order them either from Fortnine or on eBay. Make sure you get the correct length and ones made for 7/8"(22mm) bars.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
The downside, I would think, of cartridge heaters is that the heat needs to penetrate the cold metal of the handlebar before you feel it. I don't see the sense in adding a big chrome radiator to your grip heaters.
Admittedly, I haven't used either system. By the time it's cold enough that I start thinking about heated gear, the streets are too icy to ride on, anyway. I imagine I would like them if I made the effort to mount some.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
It's a trade off. With heated grips the wires have to flex whenever you twist the throttle and you can only have those grips. With cartridges inside the bars it takes a little longer for them to heat up but the wires don't need to flex and you can have whatever grips you like.
BTW: I'm sure some heat is lost by conduction to areas outside of where my hands are but you would waste some heat that way with heated grips too (maybe not as much?)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
One pro for heated grips dont have to drill a hole in the handle bars, con do have to be carefull of the wire routing , having said that Oxfords and Koso's got pretty tough attaching points. Throttle side of course takes the most abuse. Have 8 years of use out of the Oxfords on my Cx650e. Both brands have a nice feel and stick in your hand .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts