Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kill switch won’t work.
I’ve taken it apart to clean it twice. Just wont function
I bought new bars and wanted to update to modern levers.
But my problem is finding controls that will wire up correctly. I’ve heard people on here trying to use cbr250 controls. But the kill switch functions opposite.
Non of the universal controls on eBay I’m seeing that have wiring diagrams have a wire going to the flasher. How will they flash than.
And also don’t know if the kill function is the same
Anyone have any luck changing out controls to something that dose not have a integrated lever

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that isnt going to work
at least not the throttle side
ninja cables are about 10 inches shorter.
and the stock cables won’t work in the ninja throttle Housing
dam. Back on the hunt again $#&@#

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
1) The levers have nothing to do with the controls except that the clutch switch and brake light switch are connected to wires that run with the ones for the switches.
2) Are you sure the problem is in the kill switch and not some other part of the wiring?
If you haven't already done so go to the CX Wiki and download the colour wiring drawing for your model. Figure out which wires run to the kill switch and where they go (your bike should have CDI so the kill switch should simply connect the black/white wire to ground).
  • Start by shorting the wires that go to the switch and seeing if the engine dies. If it does the problem is most likely the actual switch. If you can't find a whole replacement assembly you might be able to replace the switch inside the housing NOTE that not all kill switches work the same way. On bikes with CDI systems like yours and some single cylinder points ignitions the kill switch basically shorts the ignition but bikes with other electronic ignition systems (like the Transistor amplifier Ignition used in later models in this family) and multi cylinder bikes with points ignitions interrupt the power to the ignition (like turning off a light).
  • If shorting the wires at the switch doesn't work try connecting the black/white wire at the switch to a different ground point (you will need a jumper wire for this) to see if the engine stops.
--- If it doesn't move to the next place the black/white passes through a connector and try there. moving along the circuit until you find a place where it kills the engine. When you find that place the problem is probably somewhere between there and the last place it didn't kill the engine.
--- If shorting the black/white to a different ground kills the engine the problem is in the ground circuit to the switch. You can probably figure out where the problem is by measuring the resistance between the ground wire and the battery's negative terminal at the switch and moving to the next place where it passes through a connector until you find where there is zero ohms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the black and white wire is connected the bike has no spark. When disconnected the bike has spark. So yesterday I wired in a on of switch in between that connection. Now I can turn off the bike without hav to remove the seat
im wanting to change out the bars and put better looking levers on the bike but the clutch lever is integrated into the controls on that side And the other has a bad on off switch
that’s why I was hoping to change out the handle bars controls with something that didn’t have the clutch lever as part of the controls and something I could use my existing throttle cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts