Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I bought a pair of clamps like what you were left with. Any more pics of the final wiring and fuse location in the tin?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think I'd like to do something like this, but I'd leave the cover for the ignition switch on. I don't like the looks of the barrel sticking out like that. Otherwise, moving that is a very good idea as having to remove my handlebars each time I want to adjust my steering head bearings is quite annoying.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Knowing myself I wouldn't leave well enough alone. If all you use is the ON and OFF of the switch I would pull the ignition switch and connect the wires as they should be on the connector for ON. You can see this in the wiring diagram. It's usually something simple like red to black and brown to brown/white. With jumper wires in that combination or better yet a correct plug in. I would tape everything up and hide it in the headlight bucket.

Then I would install a simple switch somewhere else on the bike near the battery that would be connected in between the power wire from the battery and where the power wire runs to the ignition switch.

This switch could be a toggle switch or a switch for a device like a riding lawn mower with key.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very nice work, I did it the easy way and used some top clamps off old honda. Are you going to leave the ign there?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I see this alot. People posting pictures of 75% finished custom jobs. Especially the caffee project minded people. It's nice to see decent modifications. Especially the start to finish ones
Please post another picture when you get your ignition figured out and if you do mirrors.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice. Keep it clean.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've done a thumb switch before, but it was just for the lights. I still had the kill switch rigged up in the ignition switch at the time. I'm afraid of someone attempting to jack my bike. I know that it isn't very valuable, but I live where if someone sees a button, they're going to push it. And if they start up a vehicle, they're going to ride it.

The only reason I'd do this modification is for easier reach to the steering head nut anyhow lol.

Edit: Realized that you were suggesting putting the switch itself in a hidden location would work as well. Maybe that would be a good idea if I couldn't keep the one up top looking pretty after moving my fuse box. I dunno...all down the road.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will leave the key ignition where it is.

I would LOVE to replace the lever set-ups on both sides.

The wiring is still in progress. I am considering using an ethernet male/female for the idiot lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your bars are awesome. What are they? Also love the c70 in the back I have a 81 that I am going to start modding soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the bars from HERE

I think the bars are great and super adjustable BUT the welds on my bars are terrible looking.

If you order some, ask them to pick out a clean set for you.

The old Honda is my wife's. She grew up with the little Honda 55 and we are soon going to bring it back to life.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I will leave the key ignition where it is.

I would LOVE to replace the lever set-ups on both sides.

The wiring is still in progress. I am considering using an ethernet male/female for the idiot lights.
So where to you plan on relocating them? Yoiu've got a nice clean look right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts