Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thanks to my "lovely" neighbour and their excellent parking skills, my hand controls, mirrors, signals are busted.

It's time for an upgrade, and I could use some inspiration and help from you guys. I do have a smaller budget, but all the levers are broken, throttle is broken, and everything is quite rusted anyways.

I have a set of renthal ultra low bars on stand by, and I'm looking to update all the hand controls.

Can you guys guide me in the right way on this shopping list:
  • Clutch lever
  • Brake lever + master
  • throttle
  • turn signal + kill switch buttons (upgradable?)
  • cables
  • Gauges (only running speedo most likely)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I upgraded the master c. from the CB1300. Found it cheaper than the ori, and much, much better. For one it is adjustable at the lever, and the MC itself is made of metal, not plastic which over time warps, and leaks fluid. Breaks work much better.
If you opted for the flatter handle bar it also seats better, than the CX one, because the cylinder is in line with the bar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats true about the twin discs- thats the case in my bike. I found ori pump not sufficient. The CB1300 pump does the job well. My item was brand new, so it was in top condition.
I payed around 30 dollars for the whole item, handle included. I know at this price was the steal. ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I upgraded the master c. from the CB1300. Found it cheaper than the ori, and much, much better. For one it is adjustable at the lever, and the MC itself is made of metal, not plastic which over time warps, and leaks fluid. Breaks work much better.
If you opted for the flatter handle bar it also seats better, than the CX one, because the cylinder is in line with the bar.
These are pretty great. I love the metal MC for sure! Thanks! :icon_thumbright:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,263 Posts
They look OK, but its hard to tell from pics. On the other hand, the one Phreak linked above is recommended by Murray and around here that means a lot. I recommend it too - I have one on Eccles and another one waiting to be installed on Mr.H.

And speaking of my recommendations: Have you looked at the Danmoto 180 Cockpit? https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/ind...ducts_id=389&zenid=heanbepb4qgn0c67g6ljnr7vs4 I installed one on Eccles last year and with almost 7400 Km on it I like it enough that I am planning on getting one for Mr.H too.
Eccles Mileage 03 Jan 2015.JPG
My only complaints about it are 1) The numbers on the tach could be bigger. There is room for them to have been printed larger but for people who don't need reading glasses they are probably fine the size that they are. 2) The chrome around the edge is too bright. When the sun is at my back it reflects off of the chrome and almost blinds me. One of these days I will paint it with the same stainless steel appliance epoxy I used on the bracket it is mounted on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They look OK, but its hard to tell from pics. On the other hand, the one Phreak linked above is recommended by Murray and around here that means a lot. I recommend it too - I have one on Eccles and another one waiting to be installed on Mr.H.

And speaking of my recommendations: Have you looked at the Danmoto 180 Cockpit? https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/ind...ducts_id=389&zenid=heanbepb4qgn0c67g6ljnr7vs4 I installed one on Eccles last year and with almost 7400 Km on it I like it enough that I am planning on getting one for Mr.H too.
View attachment 23542
My only complaints about it are 1) The numbers on the tach could be bigger. There is room for them to have been printed larger but for people who don't need reading glasses they are probably fine the size that they are. 2) The chrome around the edge is too bright. When the sun is at my back it reflects off of the chrome and almost blinds me. One of these days I will paint it with the same stainless steel appliance epoxy I used on the bracket it is mounted on.
I found a mini speedo that comes with a couple indicator lights. Keeps it nice and simple! Don't know how hard it will to wire it up, but i'm sure Dime City might have some ideas (as i ordered from them).

I guess those MC linked above are legit then. This name Murray seems to be the trusted name on this forum aka stamp of approval.

Any throttle or switches recommendations?

Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,263 Posts
I found a mini speedo that comes with a couple indicator lights. Keeps it nice and simple! Don't know how hard it will to wire it up, but i'm sure Dime City might have some ideas (as i ordered from them).
Does it have a temp gauge or will you be keeping your old tach?

I guess those MC linked above are legit then. This name Murray seems to be the trusted name on this forum aka stamp of approval.
Murray (AKA murrayf on this forum) buys, fixes & sells these bikes (& others) on a regular basis so he knows which aftermarket parts to use.

Any throttle or switches recommendations?
When I didn't want to keep patching up the 30+ year old switches anymore I replaced them with Royal Enfield on both of my bikes This is not a simple plug & play proposition and it does involve some compromises View topic - Switchgear replacement options: Royal Enfield switches ? NGW Club After 2 years the only problem I have had is that the choke lever on Eccles broke one really cold day last January (I temporary replaced it with a modified bicycle shifter - I might just keep it that way).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts