Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently after some work which included an oil change, I have noticed a "hammering" noise at a certain RPM. It starts at about 52-55 MPH in 5th gear, and I can decelerate or accelerate past those points and it will go away. The engine idles smooth with no abnormal noise. The unwanted noise can be heard by easing the throttle to the point of noise while sitting still. There wasn't excessive brass particles in the old oil when changed. It is more like a vibrating noise of sorts that I've never experienced before. Any suggestions?

1981 GL500, 19,233 miles.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Try to post a video. I know the audio isn't always that great but its worth a shot.

Does it happen when hot, cold, or both?
i dont think Phil means to try and get a video of the noise,traveling at 50mph,but can you get the noise to appear on the center stand at a certain revs.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Big ends.

Thats my first thought, hopefully a wrong one but

thats what comes to mind

When they start to go they are usually quiet at idle but as soon as

you put the motor to work they start to hammer.

When they really get shagged they hammer all the time

theres a vid here somewhere of a 650 with bad and I mean bad! end failure.

There was a lad here in Bristol who had his bike nicked and when it was

found I help him get it home in my van

At first it seemed it was OK and after we got it running again it sounded fine

at idle, but as soon as we revved it over 3 thou the hammering started

Bloody shame as he had done a lot of work on it.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'hammering' of course, so a vid may help

A loud tapping or clattering may be cam chain, cam shaft,

fan or something loose that vibrates more at certain frequencies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. I completely misread your post. Yea, on the center stand.

..............long night.

I'll have some time in a day or so to get a good video and post it. I have a feeling and a hope it is minor; maybe camshaft chain slap. I imagine as possible 4th owner it has never or not recently been adjusted. Incidentally, the hammer noise has a "vibration-rattle" associated with it. I was an automotive mech once in my life, but don't recall ever hearing anything like it..... thanks for all the responses so far.

I only hear it at normal operating temperature, because I never run a cold engine at higher than just above idle rpm (1200 max).

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'll have some time in a day or so to get a good video and post it. I have a feeling and a hope it is minor; maybe camshaft chain slap. I imagine as possible 4th owner it has never or not recently been adjusted. Incidentally, the hammer noise has a "vibration-rattle" associated with it. I was an automotive mech once in my life, but don't recall ever hearing anything like it..... thanks for all the responses so far.

I only hear it at normal operating temperature, because I never run a cold engine at higher than just above idle rpm (1200 max).
why not spend an hour,and adjust the chain...prior to making the video.

valves and cam chain adjustment

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/CXGLTappets.htm#CXGLTappets

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recently after some work which included an oil change, I have noticed a "hammering" noise at a certain RPM. It starts at about 52-55 MPH in 5th gear, and I can decelerate or accelerate past those points and it will go away. The engine idles smooth with no abnormal noise. The unwanted noise can be heard by easing the throttle to the point of noise while sitting still. There wasn't excessive brass particles in the old oil when changed. It is more like a vibrating noise of sorts that I've never experienced before. Any suggestions?

1981 GL500, 19,233 miles.
Since this post, I repaired an oil leak coming from the front engine/trans cover gasket. While doing this I replaced the tach cable, tach drive gasket and seal, and adjusted a very slack oil pump chain. The old tach cable and housing was broken leaving about 4 inches turning and flopping around. Since this repair, the noise is gone. Guess the noise was coming from something that was repaired, probably the cable. Thanks for all the replies!

-Carl

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Since this post, I repaired an oil leak coming from the front engine/trans cover gasket. While doing this I replaced the tach cable, tach drive gasket and seal, and adjusted a very slack oil pump chain. The old tach cable and housing was broken leaving about 4 inches turning and flopping around. Since this repair, the noise is gone. Guess the noise was coming from something that was repaired, probably the cable. Thanks for all the replies!

-Carl
sweet,a happy ending

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Glad it is fixed I was thinking an exhaust leak...

Glad I was wrong!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey man, is the hammering pre-ignition? The fuel we have in the U.S. is like dog piss and will require a higher octane. Remember the 500 has a 10:1 compression ratio. Don't use methonal mixed fuels and research what additives the refiners are putting in their fuels. In

colorado, the refinery in Denver has a summer blend, and a winter blend. All of it a witches brew. Pre-ignition comes in under load and heavy throttle in the "lugging" range. Just some food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Hey man, is the hammering pre-ignition? The fuel we have in the U.S. is like dog piss and will require a higher octane. Remember the 500 has a 10:1 compression ratio. Don't use methonal mixed fuels and research what additives the refiners are putting in their fuels. In

colorado, the refinery in Denver has a summer blend, and a winter blend. All of it a witches brew. Pre-ignition comes in under load and heavy throttle in the "lugging" range. Just some food for thought.

Dino....you should really read the posts in a thread before you reply....his problem was solved several hours before you posted.....come on man.

·
Registered
128 Posts

-Carl

Er - how does one adjust a oil pump chain? Do you have to take off the front cover?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Er - how does one adjust a oil pump chain? Do you have to take off the front cover?

Yes, but the adjustment is very minimal, and probably a bit tricky from what I know of it. I would think replacing it with new would be much wiser. They are not all that expensive. $40 ish, maybe cheaper with some digging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.