Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new headlight and am debating a "modern" look as opposed to a classic vintage replacement. I can't seem to find the appropriate replacement. Has anyone seen something similar to the LED Headlight here? As a reference, I've attached a photo of my CX500.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
"Halo" headlights look OK but I think you'll find that they aren't legal on bikes because "headlights on" laws require the actual headlights to be on all the time (cars can get away with them because daytime running lights laws for them allow lights that aren't the headlights).
I note that the BMW you show does have the headlight on in those pics and I expect that would be legal on a bike.

When I replaced my bikes' original headlights it was so that I would be able to see better at night, not for the "look". LEDs were still something new and very expensive then so I used HIDs. The difference between the original halogen bulb in reflector headlights and the HIDs made so much different that I would never willingly go back.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,902 Posts
There is a company call Headlight Revolution that tests and sells led lights. Not cheap but worth the look.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Are you planning to keep the stock headlight bucket? I had to replace mine when I was putting my bike together, so I chose a 5 3/4" option with LED Halo lights that are DOT compliant (the halo serves as your DRL's, while the main bulb stays on). It's an Amazon special so I won't be able to speak to the longevity of the light, but after a few months of consistent riding it hasn't had any issues and I've been extremely pleased with how well it illuminates the road. Finally, the price was pretty reasonable, and it's only a $10 premium over the base model LED option. Here's a link to the light that I got.

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
65 Posts
Are you planning to keep the stock headlight bucket? I had to replace mine when I was putting my bike together,
I have a 1978 CX, and i am planning to upgrade my headlamp and turn signals as well.

What bucket did you end up using?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I put an led with halo in stock style 7" bucket on my GL, run the halo as the daytime running light. Was a challenge to cram it in there. Search Daymaker 7" LED headlight on eBay. It is stamped as DOT.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nice looking KL. (y)

Reactions: KLCruiser

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 1978 CX, and i am planning to upgrade my headlamp and turn signals as well.

What bucket did you end up using?
Does yours have the plastic mini fairing? If so, are you going to hold onto it or would you want to sell it?

As a side note, I also have an LED headlight in mine with an RGB halo ring. Dont have a pic on me, but it suits the bike pretty well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can run most any led, I have had good luck with the ones from Amazon. I have a 5.75 one on my Harley, had a 7 inch older model on my CB750F, and just bought this all in one integrated signals one for my GL500 project: BORDAN 7 Inch LED Motorcycle... Amazon.com: BORDAN 7 Inch LED Motorcycle Headlight DOT Approved Halo LED Round Headlight with White DRL & Amber Turn Signal for Road King Ultra Classic Electra Street Glide: Automotive

Be advised though, in my experience you will be happy with lowbeams, but highbeams lack a lot of light. I added a light bar to my Harley in the brights circuit and may do the same to the GL500.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
Note that DOT regs require a 4" distance between a turn signal and any other light that is on while the signal is flashing. This is a good law because it is difficult for other road users to tell if a signal is on when it is too close to another light (sort of defeats the purpose of signals).
Headlights with integral signals are illegal unless you wire them so the headlight turns off when the signal is working.
I don't think that is a very good idea at night.

Also, I wouldn't want anything like that in a bike that also has driving lights or other marker lights because having a flashing light between 2 other lights that don't flash would be very confusing.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Does yours have the plastic mini fairing? If so, are you going to hold onto it or would you want to sell it?
SirFoxx, PM me. I have a few.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
1 Posts
Are you planning to keep the stock headlight bucket? I had to replace mine when I was putting my bike together, so I chose a 5 3/4" option with LED Halo lights that are DOT compliant (the halo serves as your DRL's, while the main bulb stays on). It's an Amazon special so I won't be able to speak to the longevity of the light, but after a few months of consistent riding it hasn't had any issues and I've been extremely pleased with how well it illuminates the road. Finally, the price was pretty reasonable, and it's only a $10 premium over the base model LED option. Here's a link to the light that I got.
Hey Jefish, thanks for all the info! I'm also planning on replacing my headlight and find that 5 3/4" would be perfect for the size of the bike (I find 7" a little too big). I was also looking at models similar to yours but my question is regarding the fork mounting brackets that you used. My 1982 CX has 35mm forks with 7 inches span between them (center to center) and a lot of brackets that I found on different websites are straight ones that would be perfect for 7" headlight but not for 5 3/4" ones. Maybe there's something I don't get... bare with me, I'm a newbie at this :) Any info regarding your install would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
Perhaps what you don't get is that a 7" headlight generally produces more light (in the old days that was because of the bigger reflector but it also has room for more LEDs).

Personally, I think a 5 3/4" headlight on a full sized motorcycle looks like a bicycle headlight but I guess you're entitled to disagree with that.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Hey Jefish, thanks for all the info! I'm also planning on replacing my headlight and find that 5 3/4" would be perfect for the size of the bike (I find 7" a little too big). I was also looking at models similar to yours but my question is regarding the fork mounting brackets that you used. My 1982 CX has 35mm forks with 7 inches span between them (center to center) and a lot of brackets that I found on different websites are straight ones that would be perfect for 7" headlight but not for 5 3/4" ones. Maybe there's something I don't get... bare with me, I'm a newbie at this :) Any info regarding your install would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!
My headlight bucket had some rubber grommets which protruded slightly and allowed for some misalignment. I just mounted the brackets so the headlight bucket was centered and tightened everything down. I've been riding it nearly daily for the last few months and it hasn't had any issues.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Perhaps what you don't get is that a 7" headlight generally produces more light (in the old days that was because of the bigger reflector but it also has room for more LEDs).

Personally, I think a 5 3/4" headlight on a full sized motorcycle looks like a bicycle headlight but I guess you're entitled to disagree with that.
The issue that I run into with 7" LED lights is that because there are so many more LEDs the power draw ends up being a bit higher than the halogen it replaces. I have a daily driver with 7" round headlights that work with an H4 connector (an NA Miata), so for kicks and giggles I did a side-by-side comparison of the 7" Halogen against the 5 3/4" LED that I put on my bike. The LED was substantially brighter due to the higher efficiency of the LEDs at turning watts into lumens, and I wish I had taken pictures at the time because it was really impressive to see how effective the smaller light was. Since the charging system on the CX500 is notoriously a pain to service and the smaller LED is still noticeably brighter than a 7" Halogen, I think the aesthetic hit from the slightly smaller headlight is a reasonable compromise.

On the other hand, assuming that you already have a reflector/bulb headlight (not a sealed beam) then you could try using an H4 LED emitter. That would get you LEDs with the larger reflector, but I can't vouch for any difference in total light output since I've never tested it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts