Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I removed my mufflers one of them broke off an inch from the H-box and I haven't been able to get the piece out. I've tried everything that's been posted about that problem (I think) and still I can't get it out. What are my options now? Get rid of the H-box? I know some guys have done that but so far it seems all the reviews of that modification have been mixed. I'm pretty sure the piece is welded in there, so I am doubtful anything is going to get it out. Help....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Try some heat, welding or propane torch and then slowly try to work it loose. AGB-1, You could have a muffler shop make some connector pipes that have correct angle to bolt up to the old muffler frame mounts. Use Sportster mufflers which are pretty cheap on Ebay or from a H.D. Shop. Some Ebay sellers try to make up with shipping charges, so watch out for that.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i've welded on my hbox with no problems. just weld it back on. post a picture of what the problem is and we can probably help more.

also make a sig. with where you are and what kinda bike you have.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Get one of those hacksaw blade holders (just holds a bare blade sticking out about 4") the use that to go at the pipe stub from the inside until it's thin enough to chisel out of there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the exact same problem a couple weeks ago. I took off the H box and used the edge of a chisel to carefully split the muffler part that stuck. Then just folded it in on itself. I did need to get a new muffler obviously.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I actually saw a repro set of silencers for a Custom on eBay the other day. Not uncommon to see the regular CX silencers but the shorter and wider belled Custom ones are somewhat rare. Same company probably does both, never heard of them before but their listing was well written.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I actually saw a repro set of silencers for a Custom on eBay the other day. Not uncommon to see the regular CX silencers but the shorter and wider belled Custom ones are somewhat rare. Same company probably does both, never heard of them before but their listing was well written.

by chance you have a link?? that might be a good investment for some people

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts