Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

Nick the Newbie here! I'm looking at getting my first ever motorcycle (quarter-life crisis or whatever). Little about me, I've always been a car guy, mostly Euro things, and now have a cursed Focus ST, and an E30 M50 swap project. I've been wanting to get to riding for basically as long as I can remember, and no time like quarantine to do so. I've come across a great deal on an already mostly Cafe'd 1981 CX500D that would definitely be a project for sure. I met the seller today, and he's very upfront about everything going on and from the sound of it it doesn't seem like too much work to get it in riding condition, but I'd love some recommendations from the vets here.

Starting with the good:
  • New rear tire
  • New looking rear suspension
  • New front fork seals
  • Rebuilt carbs
  • Recent coolant flush
  • Only $800, with a clean title which seems to be rare in my price range
Things that need work:
  • Most glaring is that the owner says that it starts and runs fine in 1st gear, but stalls once you shift up to second. He had some recommendations to install larger fuel jets (included with the purchase). Definitely a strange thing happening there, and I should note that I do have mechanical experience, but not on motorcycles, and ESPECIALLY not with carbs, so I'm a little lost. It does sort of sound like a fuelling issue, but maybe something to do with the shift linkage?
  • No run/kill switch - Universal switch is included
  • No speedometer or guages of any sort - Previous owner cut the wire. I would love to take this as an opportunity to go with a single combo/digital gauge if that's a thing. My research has only turned up universal ones that are suspiciously cheap. Any nudges in the right direction there would be much appreciated

Since this is my first motorcycle I know at least one thing you guys are going to say, which is to dress for the slide. I'm already on it ;) But if you have any recs on some nice cafe style armored denim jackets, I'm all ears! (if you couldn't already tell, I'm diving head first into the hipster lifestyle). Anyways, I'd love to hear some input on this particular moto, but I'm already leaning towards picking 'er up this weekend.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-Nick

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
A few things that I notice. The front forkks have been slide up through the tripple trees to lower the front end, by the looks of it more than is safe. The front end lacks a fork brace, usually provided by the inner structure of the front fender. I suspect that the rear shocks are shorter than stock.
For instruments, kook for Danmoto or Acewell. Make sure to have a temperature gauge.
You will find much useful information on the following web site, this is a good starting point, Honda CX500, CX650, GL500, GL650 Buying Guide

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just a thought, vehicles of this age are not without their problems. You will be starting your learning process on a machine that has already been altered from stock configuration. electrical systems that have been changed, unless someone on the forum knows this specific bike, it will be challenging to diagnose some of the already known issues. Personally, I would prefer to start with an original bike to learn from. Just my opinion.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
14,090 Posts
What all of them said^^^^
We have had some experience here with bikes that were "customized" by people that thought they knew what they were doing and the new owner had to spend more time & effort fixing the problems caused by the "builder" 's mistakes than if they had started with something that hadn't been modified.

At very least I would consider taking as much of it apart as you feel comfortable with to look for stuff that isn't done right and probably replacing the wiring harness with one that hasn't been butchered.

Oh, and please add your location to your profile (there may be a member nearby who can help you with stuff) and when you get it your bike's correct model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm back, had to go get a cup of coffee. Why ruin all your enthusiasm fixing what somebody else did wrong or is hiding from you ? There are too many decent unmolested ones around waiting for you. Spend a couple hundred more (or even less) on one with a good history that you can learn on using this forum and your downloaded free factory shop manual ? Welcome and happy trails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys!

I'm finally getting back in here, and I did end up going with this one about two weeks ago now. Some things - The engine starts and runs fine, and not sure why the previous owner was having issues with it stalling. I had it shifting through all of the gears with no problem, and the more it ran the better it ran. Also adjusted the front shocks back to where they're supposed to be.

A friend of mine actually has a TON of spare parts for this bike that he's handing over, which included a new/actual front light (the one installed was a Hella offroad light) a nice looking Acewell 2252 speedometer along with some OEM parts.

I started digging into the wiring over the weekend and that's where I'm running into some speedbumps. The previous previous owner did some hacking into the stock harness for the under-seat start button and to hardwire in the light. I managed to get the Motion-Pro start/stop switch wired in to start the bike correctly but can't get it to shut off without just closing the valve from the tank, but I'll save all of that for the tech section ;)

Thanks guys!

-Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts