1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Andrew Bartlett

First bike purchase: 1981 GL500 Silverwing
Date of Purchase: June 2019

Hey all! Took the Basic RiderCourse a number of years ago, with the intention of getting a bike immediately. Life got in the way, but I finally got my hands on my first motorcycle, and I'm absolutely in love with riding it. 7468 miles at purchase (shockingly low?). Some mild rust on the exhaust piping and engine surface, but the old girl fires up nicely and was well maintained with minimal use over the years.

I haven't ventured onto the interstate yet, as I'm still pretty novice, but cruising at 50 mph on country roads are more enjoyable to me, anyway.

Maintenance I've done already: oil change (super easy), fuel tank drained and cleaned (rusty inside). Plans to replace rusting/cracking mufflers. POSSIBLY re-paint it next spring.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome, congrats on the good find. Nice to see one in the more obscure black color.

Steve

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,361 Posts
Hey all! Took the Basic RiderCourse a number of years ago, with the intention of getting a bike immediately. Life got in the way, but I finally got my hands on my first motorcycle, and I'm absolutely in love with riding it. 7468 miles at purchase (shockingly low?). Some mild rust on the exhaust piping and engine surface, but the old girl fires up nicely and was well maintained with minimal use over the years.
Welcome aboard! I found my naked '82 GL almost exactly a year ago. She had 7,380 miles on her. Someone mentioned using aluminum foil and water to get rust off chrome. Worked pretty good for me. Best modification I did right away? A new set of Shinkos

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
don't think that is the black color? did the GL's come in Black?
I think dark exposure, same color as mine?

Naked GL500
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
!981 GL500s were available in Candy Muse Red or Cosmo Black Metallic. Mine is Cosmo Black Metallic. In 1982 the Sterling Silver Metallic replaced the Cosmo Black Metallic AFAIK.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.