Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at grease types online. Seems there are a lot of different types. I am mainly concerned with the grease used to put the wheels back on (particularly the rear's clutch area)

I can see the original grease is mostly the brown, common stuff, but on the inner most part of the drive shaft area, it looks like black grease.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's probably just old grease. I've never seen new "black" grease. It has always been either brown(normal) or pink(synthetic).

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honda Moly 60 is what is recommended for putting your rear wheel back on - it's concentration of moly is high enough to reduce wear on the splines. Most of the moly grease that you get from Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa etc. only has a moly content of 5%. I know that Valvoline Moly paste is 3%

The splines are where you need it most as they are subject to high pressure and possibly temperature.

~Thom

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would get either the Honda moly grease or an equivalent (there are some, but they are unusual, I got an equivalent from Graingers in the US). Most of us respect Honda's engineering, and they chose to select 60% moly fortified grease for these few applications for a good reason, severe pressure and friction. "Regular" moly grease with 5% (give or take)moly is not in any way an equivalent to 60% moly, and the molybdenum is the key ingredient. To further support Honda's recommendation, we have all heard of worn out spline sets. Frequency? Regrease with each rear tire change when it's apart. Some dealers don't appreciate the need for this lube spec requirement, but I have not met a dealer yet I would believe when they are contradicting Honda engineering. And they do, when it's convenient for them.

OMG, I'm a Grand Nagus. I've been trying to avoid that handle.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There may be confusion (on my part). I'm referring to the male and female toothed hubs (one in the rear wheel, and one on the rear drive gearbox)that mate together. These are exposed and easy to service when the rear wheel is removed. Curiously, which side is male and which is female varies depending on the bike model. The CX650C is "backwards" as I recall. I use "ordinary" grease on the sliding driveshaft splines.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Reactions: Lukeburritos

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
The grease as specified by Honda with the moly additive is widely available at most auto parts stores.

Reactions: Lukeburritos

·
Registered
10 Posts
The grease as specified by Honda with the moly additive is widely available at most auto parts stores.
i read online that the Honda moly grease is 60 percent so the majority of stuff available in store is not available in that high percentage of molly I really don’t wanna order a 20 dollar thing of grease offline that I’m gonna use once or twice. But if it’s recommended than guess i will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.