Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I´m leaving home for some weeks 1120 km up north, where my red one has been lurking during the winter. Most roads up there are unpaved. I guess they should be cured from the their frost damages by now.

It´s not that bad, really, to ride on decent hard gravel roads. A different technique, not without fun. I´m rather careful so no sliding and other bold maneuvres, from my part. But on the straights it´s fun to open it up, a little.

Reindeers are a nuisance! They seem to prefer to cross the road where you don´t expect them to! I´ve had a couple of close calls, but they don´t seem to remember.... I do!

Sture

·
Registered
522 Posts
My uncle used to say the secret to driving on a gravel road was to go fast enough that when you slid off into the ditch you had enough momentum to get you out of the ditch. He applied that logic when took my brother's Harley 45 for a ride. It didn't work out so well for some reason.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We arrived here some hours ago.

~ 1100 kms make a big difference. Early summer down there where we´re coming from - just spring here!

I brought a brand new battery for the CX which thanked me by starting the same way it always has done. One pot for some seconds, then the second one chimed in.

The gravel will have to wait until tomorrow - 2-3 glasses of wine after the journey made it unwise to do more than a plain start- and warm-up.

I´ll take it easy - I don´t want to end up in a ditch or something outside the road.

I´m sure I´ll find some silly errands that are better done with the bike than the car. 3 kms to the nearest food store. 13 to the next one. Guess which one I´ll prefer! Nearest town is 66 kms away - all fine, paved roads!!

I´ve only had ~ 500 kms in the saddle, so far, this year. I´ll add some more here, hopefully!

Sture

1 - 8 of 8 Posts