Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Garmin 255 for $69 at tiger direct and i'm debating how to mount this sucker but that's not my biggest concern. My bike is turning into wires here and there.

I already have the trailer plug, heated gear wires, hid headlight and ignitech stringing across the bike so I don't want to have to try and hide a 12volt cig lighter plug on a naked bike.

Is there another method of wiring that I can use to just tap into the headlight bucket? I did see a mod where someone broke down cig adapter and soldered wires on it instead to get rid of the bulk.

Is there a better or easier system out there. 1 foot of cord is better than 7.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=airBWHVZTIU[/media]

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use this cable/power supply to power my Garmin 255.

http://www.mymotomount.com/category_s/293.htm

Tie it into a switched 12v source in your headlight bucket and just snake the mini-USB cable out to your handlebars and it should work pretty slick.

I also have their cheap $15.95 handlebar mount, it works pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is the black box in the center? I might have enough room in the bucket for it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
How big is the black box in the center? I might have enough room in the bucket for it.

Mine is underneath the gas tank on my Valkyrie right now so i won't see it till spring. If i recall, and looking at the catalog pic and trying to use the USB plug for scale, the 5v regulator is slightly bigger around than a quarter, smaller around than a 50 cent piece, and slightly elongated.

Its not very big, but I know headlight buckets can get pretty crowded.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
"Interstaters" got a very good adapter idea. With the myriad of power sources you are tapping, I

would use it with one of these Fuzeblock this is

what I run on the beemer, absolutely required. One hot lead and tie everything into it,

with a choice of switched or not.

BTW Don, you always seem to find "the" deals, damn thats cheap for a Garmin.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Stitch,

Check this out, its a simple tutorial to building a power ditribution block.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

Building even a simple switched distribution panel like the one shown would only cost you around10-15 bucks. Each individual circuit would not have a fuse in the block, but you could add the in-line ones similar to what is usually recommended to replace the CX main Fuse.

Mike

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Since a bike is subject on many occasions (too many it seems at times) the same weather exposure as a boat, I always go for marine hardware and accessories whenever possible. I know you don't have a fairing, but I mounted a marine aux power plug in my fairing for the GPS, works great even in the pouring rain. I would go with a marine grade box on a bike, these are usually around $35-$40 on fleabay, plus they make a whole bunch of connectors/relays/ etc. at reasonable prices for marine grade.

Blue Sea 6 Circuit.

For any equipment you want to relay, you can run lots of wire to the relay so you can mount them in almost any available nook or cranny, (I put them under the seat, up near the toolbox on the CX.)

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If you got the same or similar plug with yours you could do as in the vid but

pick up a live ( black) and earth (green) inside the headlamp bucket.

Any black wire will do as the load isnt much

if you want a permanent feed, you could tap into the red to the ignition switch

or the black at the switch for a switched supply.

If the headlamp is crammed full of wires already you could lay it up undet the tank

and strap it to the frame so all you see is the cable to the GPS emerging

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I guess it can take charge from a USB connector: if you can find a spot on your bike this could be an alternative...

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96467

As Reg Mentions Above, Connecting a low current draw device like this will not make an appreciable difference in the load the charging or battery will see. I would "fuse" it individually wherever I tapped a live circuit...

My rambling
thoughts regarding this, and a few other acc. circuits, is to switch to a AGM (or lithium if I could Afford$$$ em) Battery or maybe even "Batteries", Revamp the whole wiring mess, replace all the block connectors and fuse blocks... and put in an emergency light jack and charging circuit recepticle. I'm thinking of a solar cell maint charger to keep things topped off...

With a 4 watt device (Garmin) on a 12 V Circuit the draw is .3333.... amps or 1/3 amp this is negligible, but all current draw adds up to added heating in a 30 year old charging system... this could easily be made up for by switching to LEDs everywhere but the main beam... 12v indicator lamps, 1157s 1156 and many others are avail from "superbrightleds.com"

I'm hesitant to switch my headlight to an HID as they aggravate me and I prefer not to do unto others... I would like to go to a less than 55w high beam though as The CX just won't go faster than my headlights
...or at least I haven't been driving it that way at night....

Back to the Garmin... Just Me, and for no good reason, I would not put xtra wiring on my antique motorcycles syst... I'd just make a rechargeable batt pack from RC Nicads or MiMh to run it and any other "Cyber" apps
You Could put it in the airbox, but might have to re'jet due to decreased air volume

Ohm's Law for the electrically inclined, but Algebraically (and speling)
challenged like me... : Ohm"S Law Calculator Page

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well just for fun I modified the stock garmin plug like the video. It's ok but I might buy the plug interstater suggested. The one thing I don't like about it is the fact that I need or want about 18 inches of wire max. Not 6 feet. I shortened the one I have down to about that but the modified packaging is so so. And I still need to hook up a little inline fuse.

The real question is can I fit this sucker in the headlight bucket. I might just have to find another location. Or find a huge headlight to mount on the bike.

I might just need a headlight like this.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Questions like this one make me glad I have the '78 CX500...plenty of room to tuck wiring in and out with some heat shrink to help with vibration chaffing on the wire inside the "Maggot" fairing.

Local electronics shop in Tucson carries USB cables with the USB A on one in (full sized computer connection) and a USB Mini or Micro on the other in lengths as short as one foot.

Then it is a matter of making the USB connection weather resistant.

I bought a handlebar mount case that is suppose to be weather resistant and has a thin plastic screen that you can operate the touch screen on the GPS.

It has a cable outlet on the lower face that will keep water in the bottom of the case at least and several spacers below the unit for you adjust the GPS so it is snugly in the case.

Unfortunately I broke my right shoulder before I got a chance to test it on the bike and I'm ordered off the bike for the winter (Winter is still riding weather here most of the time in AZ).

David

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess it only took a few hours and hunting online that I decided to just buy the right one for the job.

I'm still thinking of using the one I made since I can fuse it and put it in my truck. Win win since the blackberry and gps charge at the same rate.

Did I mention that I hate cigarette plugs. Especially when you have to have a little compartment open with change rattling about. Not like the old vehicles where there was just a hole in the dash.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did anybody mention "Parts Express" - they are a good source for marine Cig adapters and such...

Trickster: That "Fuzeblock" is killer. I got 4 or 5 applications for that little sucker!!!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was able to snag a pair Garmin 2600 Steet Pilot series GPS boxes pretty cheaply earlier this fall. The 2600 are weather proof, so I am not concerned about rain on the units. The 2620 has a bad proprietary hard disc drive, so that will be the spare parts box. The 2610 has worked well so far, and uses up to a 2GB compact flash drive (can be changed behind the cover on the back, which has an O ring to seal it!)

On the power cords, they have a built in speaker for the "lady in the box" spoken directions. One of them has a repaired power cord, and so that will be the one to be modified to be hardwired to the bike (the other good cord is to be used in the cage).

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I was able to snag a pair Garmin 2600 Steet Pilot series GPS boxes pretty cheaply earlier this fall. The 2600 are weather proof, so I am not concerned about rain on the units. The 2620 has a bad proprietary hard disc drive, so that will be the spare parts box. The 2610 has worked well so far, and uses up to a 2GB compact flash drive (can be changed behind the cover on the back, which has an O ring to seal it!)

On the power cords, they have a built in speaker for the "lady in the box" spoken directions. One of them has a repaired power cord, and so that will be the one to be modified to be hardwired to the bike (the other good cord is to be used in the cage).
FYI: There is a place to plug in an earphone or a speaker if you get the factory cord to hook it up on the bike.

·
Registered
816 Posts
FYI: There is a place to plug in an earphone or a speaker if you get the factory cord to hook it up on the bike.

Thanks for that. Yea, I saw that while researching. Since I have worked in electronics for decades, the repaired adaptor is going to get wired like that factory cable. The 12 volt cigarette plug had broke, so a PO had fixed it with a generic plug and wired 12 volt supply into the housing. It works, but it doesn't look all that great so it will be used for this mod.

Funny, on my last trip I didn't use the voice commands, just the "heads up" display with it sitting on the top of the dash. This may change with a pair of speakers (or speaker) in the helmet for directions.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my gps power wire today. Can you smell melting wires?

Well that's what I can smell. I hooked it up and the wires started melting. Unhooked it and contacted the seller. They told me to hook it up again red to red, black to black and I got no power to the gps unit. After a few more tests they agreed to send me a new one. I took it apart and there were 3 loosely soldered wires. Not sure exactly where they went I separated them in several directions finding out how they worked best.

I let go of the wires so I could disconnect it and it caught fire. Well it's dead now. But at least I have a new one on its way.

I do like the compactness of the little unit.

This is the company I bought it from. I will do a review if the second one works fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190444415932&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.