Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went by the manual and removed the 6 bolts and push rods but still can't manage to get the head off...

Ideas?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I use a rubber Camping mallet to tap and break the head gasket seal.

Note:Before you do remove the 10mm bolt in the front of the cylinder.This drains the coolant jacket around the cylinder otherwise you will get coolant all over the place when you remove the head.

Also prior to reassembly the head bolt holes MUST be totally cleaned out otherwise the head gasket will fail when re-torqued up.

This video will help as well,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Bsc2zyihU

HTH

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have beat the ever loving piss out of it with a rubber mallet...I don't want to pry between the two but i think i might have too.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Your right not to pry between the two faces

thas bad !

I've whipped a few heads off and did one recently

theres a few places where the head overhangs the block

and with a suitable choice of lever/lump of wood you can

apply a bit of leverage to break the grip

If you get it to move a bit, dont try and do it all at once

wiggle it about then try lifting from another point then you'll

find it frees up nicely

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i put the plugs back in,and turn the engine over via the front 17mm nut.use the commpression of the engine to help you.tapping as Reg said

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally got the dang things apart...I broke two new rubber mallets in the process they where stuck that bad but they finally gave it up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Well I finally got the dang things apart...I broke two new rubber mallets in the process they where stuck that bad but they finally gave it up. Thanks guys.

Damn they must have been really stuck.I've had a couple of nasty engines off Ebay but even they came apart with a swift mallet crack.

Glad you got there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts