Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally got my 83 GL650I back together and running (far from drive-able but hey im back on the right path lol). over the labor day weekend i motivated my self enough to get the engine back together and stuck it back in the frame then had to order a few parts and gaskets and got this weekend. So i kicked my self in the butt and got to work, threw the carbs on, drained the old gas out of the gas tank threw that on, made a trip to wally world got some oil and antifreeze poured that in, found my spark plug stash for my other bike that uses the same spark plugs and put them in with a few drops of oil in each cylinder for safe measures, then checked the oil to make sure no anti freeze was leaking in from some where and to my surprise was all good, then threw the battery in and hooked her up and there was power!!! So i cycled the engine about a dozen times to check my battery load to see if it was still good and get everything lubed up nice and wet before the grand fire up!!! Then i poured some fresh gas in the tank and filled the carb bowls and then nervously flipped the engine cutoff switch from OFF to ON and took a deep breathe while pulling the choke then hit the button. the instrument light began to dim the Oil light glaring red as with the Neutral gleaming green and after a few cycles of the starter motor she took her first breathe and purred to life!!! I just kind of sat there astonished and amazed while hearing that beautiful purrr and was like F#@$ YA!!!! and let let her idle for a few mins before i seen that she was leaking gas from the carbs so i shut her off and turned the gas off then looked to see where it was leaking at and at a quick inspection it looked like both float bowls were leaking so i assumed it was that and pulled the carbs only to realize that it was leaking a little higher and filled a water bottle up with gas and did a thorough inspection and found that the gas doesnt leak until the bowls are overfilling and comes out of the manifold holes but i dont know how it would have leaked while on the bike because i had them tight so know im trying to figure out how, where, why this is leaking when on the bike. I am thoroughly investigating this as if its a crime scene because this is driving me nuts right now lol.

I will post back if and when i find the problem and also have a video of her running that i put on snapchat that i will try and upload here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quite a feeling when it fires up for the first time! I hope to share that feeling over the next couple of weeks ...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Coming out the vent holes?
Either the needle valves are not sealing or the floats are not floating. [could just be stuck]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i am thinking that the needle valves aren't sealing but i was going to go round two today before work and get everything back on and see if and where it leaks. i took the bowls back off and checked the bowl gaskets to make sure one they were seated right and there wasnt any dirt or anything. but that looked good so i filled them up with gas to see where it was leaking and it wasnt the bowl gasket so thats one down many to go. Now lets just say that it is the needle valves not sealing, will they seat and seal eventually? Or do i need to stop being a tight a$$ and get some new ones?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i got the bike fired up this morning and made sure every connection was tight to the carbs and when i first put gas through them they were overfilling. So i shut the gas off and they stopped obviously, then got the bike fired up after jacking my battery from my other bike and it fired right up then turned the gas on and to my surprise it didnt leak anymore so i let it idle for a few mins before i realized i now had a coolant leak from the water pump cover hose that goes to the t stat so i replaced that hose with a new one and now it is leak free as far as i can tell so far. (crossing my fingers that it stays that way)

Now i can move on to non-engine related stuff woo hoo!!!

cant wait to get this beast road worthy!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts