Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home the '79 CX500 you folks have been so kind as to help me analyze before I decided on an offer for the seller.

Nice young family, this guy is giving up a running bike because he'd rather have a CB750 basket case project.

This Custom is pretty well complete except the exhaust; but it looks its age. It's kinda ratty, but not ratted out. The wiring harness is blissfully intact and everything looks pretty good at least structurally. Randall in MN has some exhaust components I need and we're working on that. I'm looking forward to getting it streetworthy. Besides the nasty-looking exhaust, it needs a new front tire, battery, neck bearings and various rubber parts and seals. THEN comes the polishing and maybe painting. I do my own painting in my woodshed with a HVLP gun, it ain't no pro job but it generally looks pretty good and holds up to fuel spills.

It came with an extra lump. I don't have high hopes for it, as there was enough cracked corn in each cylinder to be coming out the intakes. Thanks, squirrels. Ya'll look at the pictures; see anything good in the lump I should save?

Now then, what I know is wrong: at low speeds the bike is an absolute dog and I think it's only running on one cylinder at low speeds.

According to the little bit I've learned from this site so far, this could be 1) a low-speed coil, 2) the awful gutted pipes and missing H-box, or 3) carb wrongly jetted or clogged jet.

Any ideas on this?

Anyway, some photos:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. No rush on the exhaust Randall, there are title issues (bike is titled, but title is lost, PO showed proof of registration). I'm hanging on to the $$$ until it is resolved, with no harshness between buyer and seller. We both understand what needs to happen. He wants his $$$ and I want that title, so until he gets the new re-issued title, I'll just be waiting to actually pay for the bike, and won't ride it till it's really mine. I didn't pay very much anyway. Wife of seller wants it gone anyway. So no stress or hurry for any of us. I was just getting the motor started tonight so I could show my hubby that I'm not a complete idiot, it DOES run.

Besides, my Kawasaki Concours you see in the background is up in our tiny garage for a new front tire and some stiction sorting-out before my long trip next month, and only one bike is allowed to be off-line or in pieces at a time.

I am curious about the carbs. I really think the PO is a well-meaning individual, but I don't think he's very experienced with this kind of thing. Neither am I, but...I am reluctant to go about changing more than one thing at a time. I almost wonder if I shouldn't just mount up the stock exhaust before I start pulling carbs. If the bike still hesitates and wallows after the exhaust is put back to rights, THEN I should pull the carbs...right?

Usually it's the idle that screws up first, and this bike idles fantastic. It's the low speeds that are so bad on it, once I get going faster it really performs well. So I have high hopes...and many wrenches....

Pretty bike, though, the more I look at it the more I like it. The handlebars MUST go, but otherwise it's pretty nice....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, all that applies here. Seller is nearby and seller's wife is calling around today to hopefully find out the same thing you folks said. Hopefully we can get this done today even, but I'm not frantic about it in the meantime...the cash is sitting on the counter, ready to hand over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.