Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so trying to park my bike in someones yard I slipped on a root and took a rough spill. I thought my leg took most of it, but when I got on the bike to leave I realized I have a problem.

20140705_215551.jpg 20140705_215620.jpg 20140705_215538.jpg

I am not a mechanic by a long shot. Are my forks bent? Rim screwed? Can i get a professional opinion? i rode it home, but had to have the head of the bike pointing to the right. It was a crap ride.

Gonna go ice my leg now, thanks for the input gentlemen.

-Mike

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
looks like you twisted the front end out of whack when you fell your front end is weak

loosen the lower triple tree bolt and twist the fork back into alignment by straddling the front wheel and twisting the bars

once straight tighten the lower triple bolts then the upper triple tree bolts

its out of whack from the fall just like used to happen to our bicycles when we were kids

THIS IS COMPOUNDED BY YOU NOT HAVING A FRONT FENDER OR FORK BRACE

the stock front fender has a steel insert that acts as a fork brace by removing it and not installing a fork brace you have weakened

an already wobbly front end my advise would be to put the fender back on or fit one of these

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-502/Fork-Brace-Honda-CX500/Detail

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heya murray, was hoping one of you pros would chime in. I should have mentioned I took the front fender off for the pictures. It was blocking a clear view of the tire.

Is it possible the forks are not extended the same amount internally? Also, how can I measure to make sure its all straight again? Im hesitant to just eye it.

Thanks for the help sir,
Mike

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
If you are going to run without a fender, you need to get a fork brace.

Even with a fender, these forks bow under heavy load (braking, and aggressive turns).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. It worked like a charm, and while I was at it I slipped the front forks up .75 inches. Really improved the handleing. The front fender went back on after the pictures were taken but im going to need a new one. The fall bent it pretty good.

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts