Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've only owned three bikes in my life, the last two being a CX500 and a CX500T.

I realize that how you ride and treat the bike makes a difference, my bike has 26K miles on it.

I've owned the bike now for 3 years now, put about 3500 miles on it. I'm no speed demon, but I do get on the boost at least for a short burst when I ride. When I first got the bike I did have the sticky waste gate issue(thank you mouse milk) so I do exercise that part to keep it from sticking, but only at highway speeds.

When I do get on it, it seems like it might be that the clutch plates might be slipping a bit.

Is it possible that these have worn enough that they need replacing?

Given the history I know of the bike, previous owners would not have abused it either.

I having nothing to compare it to so I'm asking here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you rev it up good in say in 2nd gear to say 6000 rpm so you are into the boost then do a fast shift into 3rd and pop the clutch hard you should be able to feel for any clutch slip, if its slipping it will rev fast but the forward thrust will not seem proportional to the revs. Not sure if this helps but thats how I would check for a slipping clutch you need to really load the clutch and if it doesn`t give a good bite to the wheel its time for plates.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the bike's past history, if the engine/gearbox oil had friction modifier additives, then you may have clutch plates that are within wear specifications, yet they slip badly. There is a way to reclaim them, but I think most people just buy a new set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts