Honda CX 500 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Been working on the front end and miscellaneous piece painting while I'm waiting on my frame to get painted. Got a bunch of various small parts painted up such as the battery box, triple tree, head light/bracket, horn and such.

Front wheel bearings are replaced.

The license plate bracket is welded up, but not final fit or painted yet. I have to wait til the frame gets back from Cerakote (taking forever) to finish that up.

Also been making progress on rebuilding the suspension, both front and rear. I successfully got them disassembled (after making a couple custom tools) and blasted the fork tubes and the rear shock parts. I'm in the process of applying Cerakote and I'm happy to say, so far so good. I think I'm getting the hang of doing my own Cerakote...it's pretty simple once you have all the equipment lined up. New seals and oil when paint is complete. I'll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
FINALLY...after about 8 weeks of waiting, I got the frame back from paint. Now to start putting it all back together. Hopefully for the last time.

While I was waiting I re-did the the head gaskets with a set of Honda OEM, finished the front & rear suspension, installed the Acewell temp sender (had to buy an M14x1.5 adapter), and completely started over on the front fender. As for the fender, I discovered it was too pitted under the chrome and looked like shit, so I got a ****** new one off eBay.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to work for a couple weeks, so the final assembly will have to wait...stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
:vs_popcorn:

The suspense is driving me crazy! LOL, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
FINALLY...after about 8 weeks of waiting, I got the frame back from paint. Now to start putting it all back together. Hopefully for the last time.

While I was waiting I re-did the the head gaskets with a set of Honda OEM, finished the front & rear suspension, installed the Acewell temp sender (had to buy an M14x1.5 adapter), and completely started over on the front fender. As for the fender, I discovered it was too pitted under the chrome and looked like shit, so I got a ****** new one off eBay.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to work for a couple weeks, so the final assembly will have to wait...stay tuned.

The powdercoating really looks Nice !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
The powdercoating really looks Nice !
Thanks!

I had asked for Cerakote, but the guy couldn't pull it off (didn't give a reason, just said he couldn't get it to work), so he powder coated the frame instead. Without even checking with me. Not terribly happy about that, but it does look good, so I guess I can live with it. Won't be hiring HIM ever again!

All the parts in the second pic (except the fender) are Cerakoted. Third pic is stuff I did myself with rattle can satin black.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Sorry CX'ers, been neglecting keeping the thread updated. Let's see, what's new?..

Got the bike put back together, and finished up a few little jobs. Electrical is all wrapped up and all but final, just have to lock the tail light into the frame with some spray foam. Suspension is done!

I've got her running...sortof... having some carb issues I need to sort out. More on that in another post.

What else? Oh, front brakes are all installed, though they seem a little on the "soft" side. Not squishy, just not as tight as I'm used to. I've bleed them several times, and I'll do it again to make sure I don't have a bubble somewhere.

Front fender (revision 3) is done. I'll get a pic up when I get a chance.

I also made a bracket and installed the Acewell digital speedometer sensor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
A little more progress on Gordita. Finished up fabbing the side panels. They're done except for paint. I decided to go with holes for vents instead of slots, as I think it matches better with the holes in the headlight bracket. It actually looks kinda cool with the brushed metal. Half tempted to just clear coat it like this instead of paint. We'll see...

Some work with my trusty rotabroach kit.

Pretty happy with the result. Getting closer to final!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I plan to make similar side covers, no holes, no bend, tipped in flat.
In my state you can't put the plate vertical.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looking good man!

Just out of curiosity, since I'm going to be wiring the same gauge here soon, how much of your wiring is OEM? I'll be trying to tap into that for now, so any guidance would be appreciated! Also if you have any DIYs on your custom wiring set up, I'd love to check that out since I might be heading that route with mine at some point.

-Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Looking good man!

Just out of curiosity, since I'm going to be wiring the same gauge here soon, how much of your wiring is OEM? I'll be trying to tap into that for now, so any guidance would be appreciated! Also if you have any DIYs on your custom wiring set up, I'd love to check that out since I might be heading that route with mine at some point.

-Nick
Sorry Nick, didn't mean to ignore you, haven't been on here in a while. I kept about half of it. I've done a lot to this project, including digital ignition system from Rae-San, full LED lighting retrofit, digital speedometer and tach (with the Acewell), and a lithium battery system. I pretty much just cut out what I didn't need or wanted to change, and adapted it to my needs. I know that's not much help, but my bike is kinda a Frankenstein. You can PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help.

I used these guys for a lot of the custom connections.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
So something happened today.

I've taken a bit of a hiatus from this site and my project in general. I have to admit, I got a little discouraged when after a ton of troubleshooting, I couldn't figure out why the bike wouldn't run right. I'm sure some of you have felt the same at one point. Long story short: firing on one cylinder, turned out to be a bad CDI module for my Rae-San kit.

Which leads me to today...
I got the new CDI module in and got it running. So, I put the tank on, threw in a gallon of gas, and screw it...I took Gordita for a ride! Gotta say, it rides like a tractor with the chubby tires, but man was that fun! A few more things to wrap up and this project might actually get finished!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Here's a little teaser on how she sits right now...paint soon! A lot of folks are telling me to leave it bare metal and clear coat, but I'd really like to fill a couple small dents in the tank and inflict a custom paint scheme. Got an appointment with the DMV next month to get the title/registration squared away.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here's a little teaser on how she sits right now...paint soon! A lot of folks are telling me to leave it bare metal and clear coat, but I'd really like to fill a couple small dents in the tank and inflict a custom paint scheme. Got an appointment with the DMV next month to get the title/registration squared away.

View attachment 205164
Very nice and well done. I’m not a scrambler or cafe fan myself, but your bike and your excellent workmanship has changed my mind. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏You should be proud. Go bold on the color for tank and side covers. Leave the fenders black. IMO.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,784 Posts
Had a vision of Choclate pearl brown come into my head , for your tank and sidecovers. Looking good so far.

Reactions: gedenke
161 - 180 of 200 Posts