Honda CX 500 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Had a vision of Choclate pearl brown come into my head , for your tank and sidecovers. Looking good so far.
That's one option on the drawing board. Maybe a copper-brown or something...? Either that or something matte black metallic.

Very nice and well done. I’m not a scrambler or cafe fan myself, but your bike and your excellent workmanship has changed my mind. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏You should be proud. Go bold on the color for tank and side covers. Leave the fenders black. IMO.
Thank you! It's a work in progress.

·
Super Moderator
4,413 Posts
And perhaps some gold striping to match the colour of the forks.

Reactions: gedenke

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's a little teaser on how she sits right now...paint soon! A lot of folks are telling me to leave it bare metal and clear coat, but I'd really like to fill a couple small dents in the tank and inflict a custom paint scheme. Got an appointment with the DMV next month to get the title/registration squared away.

View attachment 205164
DANG this is some serious inspiration right here. I was just paging back through to check out your front end swap, and when the time comes I might be picking your brain for some guidance on that. I was originally ruling out the GSX-R swap since it's a little more work, but they are much cheaper. How's the arm position compared to the stock forks with the same style bars? Higher, or about the same?

Also SERIOUSLY digging the color combo here, and that seat! chef's kiss Thoughts on a dark green? I feel like that'd match the shock/seat colors pretty well

-Nick

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I agree that black has been done a lot, but for good reason. I think any color is better than clear coat over bare metal.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
91 Posts
The license plate bracket is welded up, but not final fit or painted yet. I have to wait til the frame gets back from Cerakote (taking forever) to finish that up.

Also been making progress on rebuilding the suspension, both front and rear. I successfully got them disassembled (after making a couple custom tools) and blasted the fork tubes and the rear shock parts. I'm in the process of applying Cerakote and I'm happy to say, so far so good. I think I'm getting the hang of doing my own Cerakote...it's pretty simple once you have all the equipment lined up. New seals and oil when paint is complete. I'll post some pics soon.
I used CERAKOTE on the engine rebuild and painting of my '85 Limited Edition. Rebuilt the engine and had all engine parts vapour blasted and wanted a protectorant for the aluminum finish. Vapour blasting makes the surface too smooth for paint to adhere, and my research took me to CERAKOTE. Contacted the company regarding its MC-5100 clear for aluminum. The company mentioned that this would work on a vapour blasted surface, and all other aspects of aluminum finishes. The company also mentioned that any of its MC clears would work. Have used this product on the engine parts/pieces, and as a protectorant on brake calipers, final drive, swing arm, centre stand, rims, brake/clutch MCs, battery box, upper rear engine mounts, trailer hitch, all polished aluminum pieces such as timing belt/valve covers, and just about anything that came off the bike to be painted except the body panels. Also coated the underside of the front and rear fenders as a torture test. Found that after application, nothing sticks to the CERAKOTE finish, tape just slides off. Hoping it goes the distance and is easy to clean. Do my own spraying using the air cure product. Like the MC-5100, one good wet coat and let cure/harden. Nice line of products. Here are a couple of finished pics with the CERAKOTE applied. Parts/pieces have been media blasted except the wheel rims - done by hand, epoxy primer, low VOC gloss black, then CERAKOTE:
Front Wheel Finished.jpg
Final Drive and Rear Wheel.jpg

Reactions: glrider

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I used CERAKOTE on the engine rebuild and painting of my '85 Limited Edition. Rebuilt the engine and had all engine parts vapour blasted and wanted a protectorant for the aluminum finish. Vapour blasting makes the surface too smooth for paint to adhere, and my research took me to CERAKOTE. Contacted the company regarding its MC-5100 clear for aluminum. The company mentioned that this would work on a vapour blasted surface, and all other aspects of aluminum finishes. The company also mentioned that any of its MC clears would work. Have used this product on the engine parts/pieces, and as a protectorant on brake calipers, final drive, swing arm, centre stand, rims, brake/clutch MCs, battery box, upper rear engine mounts, trailer hitch, all polished aluminum pieces such as timing belt/valve covers, and just about anything that came off the bike to be painted except the body panels. Also coated the underside of the front and rear fenders as a torture test. Found that after application, nothing sticks to the CERAKOTE finish, tape just slides off. Hoping it goes the distance and is easy to clean. Do my own spraying using the air cure product. Like the MC-5100, one good wet coat and let cure/harden. Nice line of products. Here are a couple of finished pics with the CERAKOTE applied. Parts/pieces have been media blasted except the wheel rims - done by hand, epoxy primer, low VOC gloss black, then CERAKOTE: View attachment 205187 View attachment 205188
Looks great, Rednax. I'm a big fan of Cerakote. Many of the parts on my build are Cerakoted, including the wheels and forks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
Getting closer to seeing this vision come through. I've got all the dents filled and the base coat of black metallic done, finish paint soon. Also got the title and plate done today!

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
91 Posts
Great looking bike, should turn a lot of heads.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,786 Posts
Good choice of color, have fun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Getting closer to seeing this vision come through. I've got all the dents filled and the base coat of black metallic done, finish paint soon. Also got the title and plate done today!

Hell yeah dude! Looks awesome. TBH, I'm using the unpainted version as the inspiration for my build ;) I just need to get mine to a warm place to start the teardown.

-Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Hell yeah dude! Looks awesome. TBH, I'm using the unpainted version as the inspiration for my build ;) I just need to get mine to a warm place to start the teardown.

-Nick
Gotta say, Nick I'm honored that my build has inspired you. I've been influenced by so many amazing bikes and builders over the last couple years, to think someone else has looked a my bike like I did so many others is pretty cool. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine. Look forward to seeing your progress!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
So after a couple failed attempts, I finally got the detail paint done. Pretty happy with how it came out! Now just a few little touch up spots and this project is just about a wrap! I'm debating on adding a gloss contrast accent to the tank or just leaving it matte.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gotta say, Nick I'm honored that my build has inspired you. I've been influenced by so many amazing bikes and builders over the last couple years, to think someone else has looked a my bike like I did so many others is pretty cool. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine. Look forward to seeing your progress!
Yeah man! You do great work, and I'm really digging the black color scheme.

I might have to pick your brain on a few things too, specifically that seat and how you did the tank dents for starters

-Nick

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You did a great job on the "chuby girl" ;) really nice! (y)

Reactions: gedenke

·
Registered
992 Posts
Nick, that is a standard CX500 deluxe or std tank, no mods done to his tank...factory stock. That's why the CX500 or CX500 Deluxe tanks are a fortune...all the cafe guys were snapping them up for their cafe builds. A clean one still goes for $200 or more most of the time...

David

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Nick, that is a standard CX500 deluxe or std tank, no mods done to his tank...factory stock. That's why the CX500 or CX500 Deluxe tanks are a fortune...all the cafe guys were snapping them up for their cafe builds. A clean one still goes for $200 or more most of the time...

David
I did press in some indentations in the front of the tank to give a little more clearance for the GSXR forks. Other than that, yes, all stock!

181 - 200 of 200 Posts