Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking for ideas on a good group camping site in Western North Carolina. Several of my colleagues and I get together and celebrate the end of the school year by going camping. The kind of site we prefer is primitive, large enough for, say, 20 people, has drive up camping capability (for the retired guys) and is not surrounded by other campers. We have gone in the Jefferson National Forest outside of Blacksburg, VA the last two years, so we want to see some different scenery this year. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
T. T., with those requirements I am of absolutely no help! Its been a long, long time since I camped like that. Maybe Charles or Phil will have a suggestion. It sounds like you all have a really good camp out! In many or most state parks they prefer folks to camp in designated areas, I guess its easier to clean up! If you find a good place, put it up on this board and the Motocamper board, other riders may like the same type of camping. Good to have you on the board, I am not sure I have seen your posts before.

Gene

·
Registered
460 Posts
T. T., with those requirements I am of absolutely no help! Its been a long, long time since I camped like that. Maybe Charles or Phil will have a suggestion. It sounds like you all have a really good camp out! In many or most state parks they prefer folks to camp in designated areas, I guess its easier to clean up! If you find a good place, put it up on this board and the Motocamper board, other riders may like the same type of camping. Good to have you on the board, I am not sure I have seen your posts before.

Gene

curtis creek is pretty remote.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground & Cabins

59 Motorcycle Dr.

Canton, NC 28716

(828) 235-8350

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil,

I thought about that one, but I'll be the only one on a bike; the rest of the guys are all devoted cagers! This will be my first bike-camping foray; kind of a departure from the pack-everything-in-the-Jeep approach of the last two years. I figure with getting my CX on the road in a few more weeks, why not?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ph This will be my first bike-camping foray; kind of a departure from the pack-everything-in-the-Jeep approach of the last two years. I figure with getting my CX on the road in a few more weeks, why not?

Tim, yes, go for it! I suggest you try and pack everything you need on your bike but you do have the luxury for this first motorcycle camping trip to pack extras in a friends car.

I have little experience out east but around here most every State Park has designated group camping areas that would be just what you are looking for. I know you already mentioned State Parks not wanting that, but I'm curious if you asked? County parks often offer group sites as well. I reserved a group site a couple of years ago in Yellowstone National Park and it was great and cheap!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Phil,

I thought about that one, but I'll be the only one on a bike; the rest of the guys are all devoted cagers! This will be my first bike-camping foray; kind of a departure from the pack-everything-in-the-Jeep approach of the last two years. I figure with getting my CX on the road in a few more weeks, why not?

Tim, you will find some good info on this site: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php

They even have a forum for those pulling campers such as my Lil Bunkhouse. I got a lot of help from this site on my Alaska trip.

Gene

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
You mentioned a preference for primitive camping. Most designated camp sites at state parks and places like BRMC are not primitive, although there are exceptions.

US Forest Service campgrounds often offer primitive camping. Check out this site and this site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Phil,

Tim

I've been camping at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground for 20 years several times a year. I know the original owners, and the current owners, Phil and Leslie Johnson. Their oldest son, Jay, now runs the campground. Visit their website. The main campground is located off highway 278, over their bridge across the west fork of the Pigeon River. However, they have a relatively acommodating parking lot just off the road, before you cross the bridge. They have little metal "radio flyer" type pull wagons to help folks that trailer their bikes in to schlep their tents etc., across the bridge and into the campground proper. So, please don't rule them out. Give Jay a call. I would be shocked and amazed if he was not receptive to bikes and cagers without bikes. Good Luck.

3510al

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hello all,

I am looking for ideas on a good group camping site in Western North Carolina. Several of my colleagues and I get together and celebrate the end of the school year by going camping. The kind of site we prefer is primitive, large enough for, say, 20 people, has drive up camping capability (for the retired guys) and is not surrounded by other campers. We have gone in the Jefferson National Forest outside of Blacksburg, VA the last two years, so we want to see some different scenery this year. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim,

The campground at Mortimer NC in the foothills (NW of Morganton) does not have a group site, but is nice, shady, and has a creek running through the center. You have to drive or ride in on a dirt road (Brown Mountain Beach Road). They have hot showers. It's my favorite area to ride fire roads on Dual Sport bikes. Stayed there during 2009 and it was $10 per night.

Stone Mountain State Park NC has a group camping area, camped there several times, but not in the group camping area. They have hot showers. We like hiking to the top of Stone Mountain.

This is not western NC but, we enjoy camping at Lake Norman State Park NC. It has shady camping areas with a group camping area, too. They have hot showers. We normally take our Kayaks and paddle in the spring or fall when it's not too hot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out "Mile High Campground". (they have a web site)

Close to Cherokee on the BRP. VERY rustic. Hot showers (also very rustic!)

Killer views from each site. Not sure about group arrangements.

Over 5K feet elevation so its always cool.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Check out "Mile High Campground". (they have a web site)

Close to Cherokee on the BRP. VERY rustic. Hot showers (also very rustic!)

Killer views from each site. Not sure about group arrangements.

Over 5K feet elevation so its always cool.

We normally camp @ Mount Pisgah Campground, about 5000' elevation, on the BRP during July & August to get out of the heat.

Will check out "Mile High" campground. Hard to find many campgrounds above

5000' where we can use our pop-up camper.

Thanks for the info!

http://www.campmilehigh.com/Milehigh.com/Info.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts