Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you remember when my original Gl tank got blown up by a reckless fried with a torch but the tank that is currently bolted to my bike is off a cx. there was some debate early on if it will fit. the short anwser was no. the long answer was noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. i have had to bend it in some lipping to get the bars to fully turn and recently while i've been trying to forget my brake woes i took another look at the tank. at the very bottom where it has an ugly transition to meet the frame it actually sits on the outer frame riggers. i'm stuck at work for a few hours but when i get home the plan is to take it off the bike once again. "adjust" the lower lips to it will clear the frame and lay down all the way, then finish prepping it for a new paint job that i was going to do any ways. this will not improve the function of the tank in any way shape or form but it should (i hope) improve the line of the top of the tank transitioning to the seat and get rid of the sketchy bolt that i put through the frame to hold the tank in place. should make the tank sit down lower and wiggle around less. i planned on painting the side outlines of the original tape lines of the tank anyways. i know this modification will cause some of the exisiting paint i didn't plan on repainting to chip and flake off, but if choppin' were easy everyone would do it. pictures to follow

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update. so i took the tank off the bike. laid it on it side and beat the edges within an inch of their lives. spread the lip apart enough where they would clear the frame and it laid down some more. i masked off the tank and painted the side inserts white. freakin' paint i used was old and got a little clumpy, it was like painting with white out. once it all got laid down i unmasked it and found there was a little overspray on the sides. cleaned it up with a scotchbrite and thought about clearing it. decided against it. the tank looks hella old school sanded flat with the white. i scotch brighted the fender to match and am leaving them just like that. bike looks totally different than it did the last time i posted pictures. got about 10 bucks more to spend for a new coolant pipe o ring and the right size brake bleeder screw. then its off to get licensed and insured. heres a bad picture in my garage with indirect light to show off my purely am' paint job.[attachment=540:pictures 001.jpg][attachment=541:pictures 002.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts