Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the old forum fitted a Goldwing wheel with disc brake to his Silverwing. Anyone recall who that was?

Thanks,

R

· Premium Member
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Charles just did that, didn't he? It's not a GL, but he put the GL swingarm on the CX...

I remember seeing it before as well, just don't remember who.
Not Charles' new project. There was someone who did it in the last year or two. Somewhere around Chicago, I think.

I noticed the spoked rim on an early Goldwing, and started wondering if it would be a good source for a spokie on the dual-sport. I'm hoping to find out how easy a fit it was to the Silverwing final drive and axle.

R

· Premium Member
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it.

It was Spacetiger. His thread in the forum archive is here. (Chantilly, VA is a Chicago suburb, right?)

R

· Premium Member
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
1983 cx650E
1,048 Posts
All these redirects turn into an empty page or chopper Charles blogg.

Anyone have some direct pictures or direct info about swapping rear wheels from a goldwing to any of the CX that the silver wing. I do believe that all models of the gold wing had disc brakes on the rear from 1975 on. So that would probably mean swapping the swing arm, but possibly a brake caliper holder could be fabricated on a CX drum brake rear swing arm.

Any pictures? Is the axles the same size?

· Premium Member
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Splines are the same. The dust shield conflicts. I believe Murray removes a little material from the flange on the wheel hub.
Unless he's changed his technique, he shims the axle with a thin-wall tube, and adds a stop to the CX swing arm to hold the GL1000 brake caliper.
When I was pursuing this mod, I was intending to use the stock brake plate stay on the GL500, but I didn't get far enough to know if it works.

· Registered
124 Posts
Splines are the same. The dust shield conflicts. I believe Murray removes a little material from the flange on the wheel hub.
Unless he's changed his technique, he shims the axle with a thin-wall tube, and adds a stop to the CX swing arm to hold the GL1000 brake caliper.
When I was pursuing this mod, I was intending to use the stock brake plate stay on the GL500, but I didn't get far enough to know if it works.
i have also used other calipers and rotor as the gold wing rotor is huge
and on a bike like the cx or gl looks to big so i have cut it down and made my own brackets
Any photos of the axle shim/completed mod? Also curious on where/how you mounted the master cylinder. I'm looking to do this in the next few months if possible

Thanks!
-Nick

· Registered
124 Posts
nothing to see on the axle mod its 2 pieces of shim tubing pressed into the bearings and brake panel for the axle to go through
i will see if i can dig up some pictures

Ahh ok I gotcha. Yeah if you have any, or at least the spec shim tubing that would be great! I'm very much a visual learner haha.

Any insight on the master cylinder mounting?

-Nick

· Registered
124 Posts

· Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,728 Posts
nothing to see on the axle mod its 2 pieces of shim tubing pressed into the bearings and brake panel for the axle to go through
i will see if i can dig up some pictures
Shouldn't need an axle mod anymore, the bearings are now available. 5-5220 or 328-2RS are 15x52x16 and the 5-4712 bearing is a 15x47x14. These are readily available on eBay, from US sellers and bearing supply places. The left side bearing is 1mm thicker than the original 20x52x15, but that shouldn't make much difference at all.

Charles.

· Premium Member
12,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The left side bearing is 1mm thicker than the original 20x52x15, but that shouldn't make much difference at all.
Won't the spacers need to be shortened?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.