Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
1,941 Posts
(y) You didn't mess around either, made quick work of it, nice job.

Reactions: JeffN

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Update
Back on the carbs for a record 4th time.
I now understand why these Kiehien 28’s get thrown in the trash.
Once you remove the airbox these carbs need work to make them work right.
Jetting is just the tip of the iceberg you need to have the idle jets and needles thoroughly cleaned and that’s not easy.
We ended up trying a hypersonic cleaner and we were amazed at how much sediment/rust/corrosion that came out of the internals of the throttle bodies and these were hand detailed with wire brushes and carb cleaner spray and an air nozzle prior.
Still a lot of crap came out.
Pics to follow.
The sonic cleaner did an amazing job.
We polished the caps and bowls because hell why not at this point.

We jetted again to 82/120 and replaced the needles this time.

The only significant struggles we had was pulling the right side idle jet to clean the ports at the bottom.
These are pressed in on our year model and do not want to come out, we broke a screw extractor off in it and that added an additional 2 hours of bench time getting it out. We ended up leaving that jet in place.
Now to re assemble and give it a go.

hoping to solve
Right side cylinder running lean and dropping out.
Idle return to 1200 rpm more quickly.
hard throttle twists without dropout.

· Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
IMNSHO the idle jets are better removed by tapping the upper part of the jet for a #4-40 thread and using a #4-40 bolt, nut and washer as a puller. Screw extractors are brittle and prone to snapping when pulled unless the pull is straight in the direction of the extractor. Slight sideways pull often will break the extractor.

Reactions: LaGrasta and JeffN

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
IMNSHO the idle jets are better removed by tapping the upper part of the jet for a #4-40 thread and using a #4-40 bolt, nut and washer as a puller. Screw extractors are brittle and prone to snapping when pulled unless the pull is straight in the direction of the extractor. Slight sideways pull often will break the extractor.
Indeed a better process
I believe the one that was left in place got cleaned enough but time will tell

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Top job Jeff!...wow!

I could not see al the pics of the completed bike, will will def make a plan to have a look-see.. The pics that I could see looks extremely neat and well planned and done.
Hope the carbs are sorted 100% very soon!

Enjoy!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Glad you are able to ride it! It is way too loud for my liking but that’s just me. If you like it and the neighbors don’t mind, more power to you. Enjoy the bike!
Oh man was it loud lol
We installed DB Killers and repacked the glass in the mufflers and it’s waaaay more reasonable.
The added back pressure from the db killers added a little bump in torque in the top of second gear. Maybe it’s just me.

· Registered
1982 Honda GL500i Interstate, bobber project
1,200 Posts
Great build, and great job documenting for the rest of us! My GL500 build runs fantastic, I'm humbly surprised at how well. As I too rebuilt everything. But as you say, they are never complete. I need to figure out the horn, it only sometimes works, or works on it's own. o_O Also, the bike is running rich. I'm not looking forward to swapping out jets until it doesn't. All that back and forth, sheesh. So n the meantime, I ride!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Great build, and great job documenting for the rest of us! My GL500 build runs fantastic, I'm humbly surprised at how well. As I too rebuilt everything. But as you say, they are never complete. I need to figure out the horn, it only sometimes works, or works on it's own. o_O Also, the bike is running rich. I'm not looking forward to swapping out jets until it doesn't. All that back and forth, sheesh. So n the meantime, I ride!
Thanks brother, we had fun doing it
The Hall effects conversion and the tuning of the stock carbs were by far the most difficult tasks.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts