Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In an attempt to speed up the build and get it on the road while there is still good weather I rattle canned the tank…I know.

also I recently lost my job so budget cuts also played a part.

I’ve had to postpone the purchase of Murray’s and a custom exhaust and have rebuilt the original carbs and were gonna wrap the OG headers and go non homogeneous into 2 slipons.
This is not ideal and may be hard to tune but it’s where we are at.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job situation, bummer.

Your tank looks a lot better than mine!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry to hear about the job situation, bummer.

Your tank looks a lot better than mine!
There is no way to get a good finish with rattle cans, in a garage.
The spray changes during use and the temperature gets colder as the volume decreases, bottom line is your gonna get texture you don’t like I wet sanded before I clear coated, then twice 1200g during a whole can of clear.
I could probably run another can and overcome more texture but for now it’s good enough.

· Super Moderator
24,105 Posts
You can if you use duplicolour acrylics from their colour matching range. They can be rubbed out and polished. This one is just a generic rattle can acrylic.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: JeffN

· Registered
'82 GL500 Silverwing (non-interstate)
70 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job situation. It happened to me for the first time in 2019. It was difficult to accept at the time, but it turned out to be a blessing. I am in a better role and happier now. You do very nice work - maybe it's time to start your own restoration / customization shop?!

I think you know this already, but that orange peal can be smoothed to a mirror shine if you are willing to put the work into it. Start with 600, then work you way up to 2000 or finer. Then buff with Maguire's Ultimate compound. Be sure to use a clear coat that will stand up to gas!

Please keep us posted and the pictures coming!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
carbs on , got it running on idle and it sounds pretty strong. We started it with just a little fuel and let it idle for about 2 minutes to get all the engine oil circulating and the coolant flowing.
I’ll post a short vid showing it hitting hard at a low rpm.
All signs are pointing to a successful engine rebuild.

· Super Moderator
24,105 Posts
Close enough to add it to the completed builds list at least.

I get you, I finished one of mine for the second time today.

Nice work.

Reactions: JeffN

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It looks fantastic! Nice job! My GL500 is never finished either. There is always something to be restored or improved.
thanks brother, it was a lot of fun.
We still have carb issues keeping us tinkering
The right side cylinder is starving on revs and we’ve rebuilt these kehien vb 28’s 3 times with quality jets,
And can’t get them stabilized
We’re running 90’s and 120’s
The plan was to have Murray’s at this point but budget restrictions have pushed that out for the time being.
Our pods have not been opened up.
We’re going to try to add baffles to the mufflers to increase the back pressure just a bit.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts